Academic Standards Policy Receives Overhaul

Faculty Senate Grading Committee Clarifies Many Areas

School was the last thing on many students' minds after their last exam finished. But while they enjoyed a month with no homework and sleeping in, President John Simpson approved proposed revisions to UB's Academic Standards Policy.

The proposed revisions were made by the Faculty Senate Grading Committee last October and were then passed by the Faculty Senate. President Simpson approved the revisions as official university policy on Jan. 6. The current policy will still be in effect for the rest of the spring semester, with the revisions being implemented in the fall of 2011.

The main concern for the Faculty Senate Grading Committee was to clarify areas that were confusing to students.

"The policy needed to be straightened up and clarified," said William H. Baumer, philosophy professor and chair of the Faculty Senate Grading Committee. "Students will have a better understanding of exactly what the academic requirements are."

Among the significant additions will be academic warnings issued if the student's most recent semester GPA was less than a 2.0, even if his cumulative GPA is greater than a 2.0. In previous years, the only criteria for receiving an academic warning was first-year students with a semester GPA of less than 2.0.

Academic warnings and probation will still not be included on a student's official transcript, but an addition to the Academic Standards Policy is a guideline requiring that warnings and probation will be noted on the student's record.

"The biggest impact of this policy will be for those students who are in trouble academically and either need the assistance that the university offers or need to take a break from their studies," said Kara Saunders, interim university registrar and assistant vice provost of undergraduate education as well as a member of the Faculty Senate Grading Committee.

The definition for good academic standing still requires a cumulative GPA greater than 2.0. However, the policy was significantly altered from the past, when students only had to obtain only one semester of a 2.0 GPA or greater out of the two most recent semesters. Now, students must earn a 2.0 GPA or greater in their most recent semester.

"In the new policy, it clearly delineates whether these students are in good standing, on academic warning, or on academic probation," Saunders said.

Removed from the policy are several qualifications of how a student would be placed on academic probation or dismissed from the university. These qualifications have been simplified to ensure a student's academic future is as straightforward as possible.

"There was confusion about what previously warranted academic warnings, probation or dismissal," Baumer said.

Now, a continuing student may be dismissed from the university for simply having a cumulative GPA of less than 2.0 and a quality point deficit greater than 20. A quality point deficit is basically the number of ‘B' grades a student would need to bring a GPA up to 2.0.

The dismissal process will now require academic advisement on top of the appeal allowed through the Vice Provost of Undergraduate Education.

The changes will now provide students with a more comprehensive idea of their academic standing and allow them ample time to meet with an advisor to see what requirements they need to meet.

"Early notification of poor performance and its potential ramifications encourages students to become more engaged in their studies, take advantage of university services, and get headed in the right direction academically," Saunders said.

The current Academic Standards Policy was implemented in 2003 on the basis that its guidelines are subject to change depending on observed outcomes.

E-mail: news@ubspectrum.com