Waking Up in Italy

Over 96 percent of the world's population does not live in the United States or Western Europe.

The SUNY system offers hundreds of study abroad programs that allow students to explore the world and expand horizons. The most sought after countries that students look to visit are Australia and the United Kingdom. Students are also flocking to Italy, France, and Turkey as they become increasingly popular.

"It looks great on a resume," said Jessica O'Connor, a graduate assistant in the study abroad office. "It means that you are a person that is willing to step out of your comfort zone, willing to try new things, and willing to learn and embrace the unknown."

Employers are more frequently requesting international experience from employers. Some programs are allowing students to cover a lot of ground while abroad, participating in both internships and classes. Studying abroad shows that students possess independent thinking skills, the ability to take risks, and the ability to work with people all over the world, which are all highly desirable attributes that employers look for when hiring.

"This gives students work experience that they can put on a resume," O'Connor said.

While many students may want to participate in the programs offered, the cost of living in another country can add up quickly.

"For me, it was about $7,000 for food, travel and random living expenses," said Jennifer Riccardi, a senior psychology and biological sciences major. "Then it was $9,000 for housing and tuition costs."

Riccardi did choose a pricey destination in the spring of 2009. Florence, Italy is a highly desirable city to visit, so the prices and costs of living were higher than those of other cities around the globe.

"Costs can vary for multiple reasons," O'Connor said. "Living in major cities drives up the cost of living and can affect the program fee. Also, some program fees include excursions and tours."

According to students, Italian culture differs greatly from American culture.

"Americans like things bigger and better," Riccardi said. "In America, we shop in bulk and go to the grocery store once a week, [while Italians] shop four times a week and buy much less."

In Italy, one will never see a Tops of Wegmans supermarket but rather clusters of specialized markets that are much smaller than the average American grocery store.

"Their closets were modest compared to ours, and their houses were generally fit to what they needed," Riccardi said. "It was amazing to experience a completely different culture and to live the way they do."

Students who study abroad often remark that the experience is invaluable and life-changing. No matter how amazing an experience is, though, students have been advised to always be aware of their surroundings and remain vigilant at all times.

"Americans stick out like a sore thumb," said Antoinette DiCerbo, a senior social science interdisciplinary major. "While the majority of people are extremely friendly, there are people who think we are ignorant Americans, and they don't want us there."

Paris is a very popular tourist destination. Vendors often take advantage of Americans, manipulating them into buying objects, and they have been known to approach tourists in groups and con them into unintended purchases.

The Study Abroad office assures its students that their safety is the number one priority.

"We stay up to date on the current events of the world and keep current with International Travel Information," O'Connor said. "We want all of our students to be safe and enjoy their time abroad."

Virtually all students who have participated would recommend studying abroad to other students.

"It opened my mind to a whole different culture and a different world," DiCerbo said.

Students interested in studying abroad can attend a group advising session on Wednesday at 3:30 p.m. in 212 Talbert.

E-mail: features@ubspectrum.com