Naming competition calls on UB Students

New additions to myUB go into effect this spring

There's a new addition coming to myUB, and all it needs is a name.

That's where the UB student population comes in.

Starting Wednesday, students have the opportunity to name a tab that will lead users to a new feature that makes it easier to access academic, financial and personal information tools.

Those who submit a suggestion or vote for their favorite idea will be entered into a random drawing to win gift certificates for movie theatres, Campus Cash, Tim Hortons and UB branded merchandise.

The five ideas that receive the most votes will be put into a random drawing to win an iPad or one of two iPods.

The contest, sponsored by Student Services Transformation (SST), is a way to get students involved and come up with a clever name for a new tab that will make many frustrating aspects of myUB easier to use.

"Students can learn more about the system, contribute ideas for names that build UB spirit and win prizes," said Kara Saunders, assistant vice provost for undergraduate education.

The new additions will help students stay on top of important information that may have been confusing in the past.

The online center will allow students to set a course "wish list" that will automatically enroll students in their desired classes as soon as their registration window opens up. The page will simplify accessing grades, viewing required classes and checking enrollment and academic record transactions. There will also be a student planner available to help with organization.

Instead of calling BIRD or visiting the Student Response Center in Capen Library, students will be able to accept, decline and reduce financial aid awards online. It will also be easier for students to view account information and determine the balance of their tuition bill.

In addition to allowing students to update personal information, the new page will clarify checkstops by explaining exactly what they mean and why they are there.

Students are encouraged to get involved starting Oct. 14. SST will be accepting suggestions on myUB up until Oct. 20, and voting will begin the following day. The online polls will be open for one week and every student will be allowed to vote once. Those whose names are chosen will receive an e-mail confirmation detailing what they've won and how to redeem their prize.

For more information and an explanatory video, visit buffalo.edu/nameit.

E-mail: news@ubspectrum.com