A light in darkness

Mental issues, like depression and anxiety, are common among students. However, they are rarely discussed in public.

Active Minds, a non-profit organization that raises awareness of depression on college campuses, has recently established a presence at UB. Allison Malmon, a student at the University of Pennsylvania, created the organization in 2001 in honor of her brother who committed suicide.

Active Minds works to educate students on mental health and encourages students to speak openly about their conditions without fearing judgment.

Rachel Gaydosh, a sophomore theatre major and the vice president for Buffalo's chapter of Active Minds, believes that it's important for the group to have an established presence on campus.

"Most people are still not comfortable to talk about mental health issues, which means that we still have a lot of work to do," Gaydosh said.

This communication appears to be critical in detection and treatment of mental illnesses or suicidal tendencies. In a recent study conducted by the University of Maryland at the Johns Hopkins Children's Center, social support was shown to be one of the most powerful predictors of suicidal thoughts for young adults.

Active Minds is on its way to becoming a Student Association club. Currently, Active Minds is recognized at well over 100 different colleges nationwide, including Duke University, Columbia University and University of California at Los Angeles.

"[Active Minds] is going to help spread awareness among students and battle the stigma of mental illness," said Ann Monks, a sophomore undecided major.

Monks added that summer scholarships and internships opportunities are available to members.

The club also works to spread awareness in the local community. Active Minds works with the "Out Of The Darkness" organization, a group that raises money for the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention.

"We are a resource and a bridge to wellness. Our objective is to send people to get help," Gaydosh said.

On Oct. 7, the Psychological Services Center at UB will be participating in National Depression Screening Day. Free screenings will be available at 168 Park Hall from 9 a.m. to noon and 4 p.m. until 7 p.m.

To learn more about the organization, refer to activeminds.org.

E-mail: features@ubspectrum.com