Substitutes carry UConn in second half

With Buffalo and Connecticut tied at 14 during halftime, Jeff Quinn and Randy Edsall charged into their locker rooms with different ideologies. Quinn was happy to see his guys battle back from an early 14-point deficit, while Edsall contemplated making changes.

One team made few adjustments, and the other brought in players to spark change. The team that introduced catalysts in the second half blew the game open.

Edsall, UConn's head coach, started a new quarterback and running back after the halftime break. He then watched his offense score on its first four drives, spoiling a dominant second quarter by Buffalo (1-3) and giving UConn (2-2) a 45-21 win at Rentschler Field in East Hartford, Conn.

Backup quarterback Cody Endres replaced Zach Frazier after halftime and shined, going 7-for-11 for 139 yards and two touchdowns. On UConn's second drive, Endres found an open Michael Smith, who scampered for a 56-yard touchdown to give the Huskies a 24-14 lead with 10:33 left in the third quarter. Later, Endres found Ryan Griffin on the first play in the fourth quarter to give the Huskies a 38-21 lead.

Edsall also called upon running back Robbie Frey to give the Huskies a consistent rushing attack. Frey delivered, running 13 times for 112 yards and scoring a nine-yard touchdown.

But as much as Edsall's changes impacted the game, Buffalo's self-inflicted wounds also altered the momentum of the game. Visibly upset, Quinn voiced his disappointment regarding the second half during the postgame press conference.

"Going into halftime tied 14-14, I really felt the kids were adjusted to the things that UConn was doing," Quinn said. "We made a couple [changes], but nothing drastic at halftime. But then some plays took place, including some turnovers and things that have been hampering us all year."

He then went in depth, saying mental miscues during the half were unacceptable.

"We talk about finishing. That was a big theme this whole week in terms of how to play four quarters," Quinn said. "How the ball goes over our head and how we can't be lined up for a punt… we can't even shift correctly. All those things create challenges to overcome, and that's the thing that really irritates me."

While Endres rode his rhythm to victory, Buffalo sophomore quarterback Jerry Davis lost his. Davis went just 6-for-19 in the second half, limiting Buffalo's air attack. Davis finished with three touchdowns – all to junior wide receiver Ed Young – and two interceptions.

The running game didn't help Davis out. Redshirt freshman running back Branden Oliver carried the ball 20 times for just 29 yards. Davis was the leading runner with 57 yards.

After the game, Quinn gave a warning to all of his players.

"It's unacceptable. We talked about how there's 88 positions out there and how important it is that every guy arises to the challenge," Quinn said. "They're being coached, we just have to demand more and they need to be accountable. When I ask you something, that's what you need to do. It's non-negotiable."

Buffalo now heads into Mid-American Conference play. The Bulls start the conference schedule with a road game at Bowling Green (1-3). Kickoff is slated for 3:30 p.m.