Little monster till the end

Lady Gaga is coming to Buffalo.

Excuse me while I find a paper bag.

There is no denying Lady Gaga's skill as an artist. She lives her art: the music she performs, the clothes she wears and the very way she moves all mean something. She is an expert in shock value, never doing what is expected, unless the expectation is complete and total insanity.

I first became a fan of Gaga with the release of her "Paparazzi" music video, which is so full of figurative depth that each time I watch it is a new experience. When I started coming out to family and friends nine months ago, I found strength in her image and the ideals of equality she represented.

So when I heard my "monster mama" was coming to perform in Buffalo this March, I could hardly contain my excitement. I promised myself I would go, no matter what the cost. When the ticket information was released yesterday morning, I could feel my wallet shrivel a little, but I was still determined to go.

While I continued to swear my attendance, many of my friends balked and backed out. I understood; after all, $80 for a floor ticket is more than a little stressful on a college student's budget. But many of us stood by our oaths and continued to assert that we were going, no matter how long we would have to survive on Ramen for our choice.

Taking a step back, I realize this is more than a little foolish. It is, after all, a lot of money, especially on a limited budget. So why spend so much? What makes Lady Gaga so worth such a heavy investment?

For me, this isn't just a concert. It's not even an "experience" like it is to most other "little monsters." To me, this concert, a little more than a year after I first began to come out as gay, is a confirmation of the very ideals that have made me who I am today.

Lady Gaga stands for the underdog. She represents those of us who are "different," who have faced hardship for simply being ourselves, and who are seen by some as "monsters." She stands to tell us that we aren't wrong. She tells us we are in the right to be ourselves and gives us the courage to be individuals.

Using her fame as a springboard, Lady Gaga has fought for the LGBT community time and time again. She has given a voice to those afraid to speak, and she has given people like me the strength to be themselves.

Lady Gaga is an inspiring force, and attending her concert next March will be an affirmation that the struggles I have faced for the past 19 years, particularly those of the last nine months, have not been in vain. Attending the Monsterball will bring the "coming out" chapter of my life to a close and push me forward toward the rest of my life. And that experience, right there, is why I feel comfortable dropping $80 for a general admission ticket.

And if you can gather up the funds to go, keep an eye out for me. I'll be the one fighting my way to the front in a pair of heels.