"Future looks bright, but complicated"

Coming off its first gold medal since 1994 at the FIBA World Championships, Team USA is well within its right to celebrate.

The so-called "B-Team" impressed during its 81-64 defeat of Turkey in the gold-medal game. Team USA won with a 28-point performance by tournament MVP Kevin Durant.

Durant headlined the young USA team, which included the likes of Derrick Rose, Russell Westbrook, Rudy Gay and sharpshooter Stephen Curry. With the victory, the USA is guaranteed a spot in the 2012 Olympics. However, this could be bittersweet news for the recent gold medal winners.

The entire 2008 Olympic gold medal "Redeem Team," which was led by NBA superstars LeBron James, Kobe Bryant and Carmelo Anthony, chose not to compete in this year's FIBA Championships.

As a result, coach Mike Krzyzewski was forced to fill 12 roster spots. The tryouts were very competitive, and Coach K eventually narrowed the team down. Due to the lack of superstar talent, pundits denoted the team as the "B-Team," and many analysts didn't think they had a chance to win.

The team answered these doubters and proved they could do more than just compete with the best the world has to offer.

Their success has created a lot of excitement back in the states, but with the 2012 Olympics looming, many questions remain.

Should the "Redeem Team" be given a chance to defend its 2008 Olympic gold-medal, or did this new crop of players earn spots on the roster? With 24 players and only 12 spots, the issue has become complicated.

Durant certainly looked like Olympic material, and it would be disrespectful not to give the reigning NBA scoring-champion a roster spot. However, this debate is heightened by questions at the guard position. With so much talent, including Deron Williams, Dwyane Wade, Chris Paul and Kobe Bryant, do players like Rose and Westbrook deserve a spot?

Team USA came out on a mission in 2008 and displayed a dominating performance, reminding fans of the Dream Teams from 1992 and 1996. The team developed chemistry, which this past year of free agency in the NBA made evident.

James, Wade and Chris Bosh supposedly made a pact after playing together in the Olympics, and all proceeded to sign with the Miami Heat earlier this summer. Paul and Anthony hinted that they would like to play together in New York as well.

Is it worth holding a new set of tryouts in 2012 and sacrificing the team's chemistry, or should Coach K give the 2008 team a chance to repeat its success?

Team USA should be made up of the best players to represent our country, and no one should be simply guaranteed a spot. Forcing players to have to earn their spot and playing time makes them more hungry and focused on their goal.

Either way, a gold medal in 2012 is a safe bet. Who will win it, however, remains to be seen.