Friday, September 20, 2024

Disney seeks magic-making interns

The Disney College Program (DCP) is currently offering students the experience to impart the legendary magic of Disney – and get paid for it.

The DCP is a five-month paid internship at either Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida or Disneyland in Anaheim, California.

Kerri MacPherson, a Disney college recruiter and a DCP alumna, believes that the allure of working for a Fortune 100 company, combined with the nostalgia that Disney conjures, makes for a winning combination.

"We get to make the magic," MacPherson said. "We love giving students the opportunity to ‘earn their ears.'"

Disney is more than just theme parks and resorts; with big-name companies such as ABC, ESPN, and Pixar under the Disney umbrella, the DCP allows for students of all different majors to work a well-rounded, resume-boosting internship. From custodial services to entertainment, the DCP offers a wide range of "roles" to choose from.

Jennifer McLoughlin, a freshman technical theatre major and potential DCP applicant, is interested in interning at Disney because of opportunities it would provide to her that UB does not.

"I would be really interested in interning as a dancer," McLoughlin said. "I wanted to be a dance minor here, but that program doesn't exist anymore."

The benefits of interning for the Disney Company extend far beyond an intern's time in Orlando or Anaheim. The networking opportunities that interns receive and the respect that the Disney name demands makes the DCP an invaluable experience and an instant resume booster.

"Whenever I went to interviews, the program was always the first thing interviewers asked about," said Jennifer Hilburger, a third-year law student who interned at Disney World in 2006.

The program also offers its interns the opportunity to take college-level courses for transferrable credits.

"I took Marketing You, which focused on things like writing a resume and interview skills," said Rebecca Bergemann, a junior psychology major who worked in Walt Disney World in spring 2009 under the Disney College Program. "The things I learned were really transferrable."

The combination of working and taking classes means that even living at Disney can be stressful at times.

"Our schedules were really intense," Bergemann said. "We usually worked five days a week - more during busier times. It taught me a lot about time management."

However, being an intern offers many benefits. Interns are housed in fully furnished apartment complexes and are provided with transportation to and from their workplaces, their apartments and surrounding attractions in Orlando and Anaheim.

"The apartments are really nice." Bergemann said. "I was living with five other girls, and we got along really well."

But perhaps the best perk that comes with being an intern for Disney is the free admission to any of Disney's theme parks.

"When things get stressful, use your free pass to go to one of the parks," MacPherson said. "It's a great way to re-pixie dust yourself."

Interested in "earning your ears"? More information, as well as applications for DCP internships at both Walt Disney World and Disneyland, can be found at http://www.disneycollegeprogram.com.

Email:features@ubspectrum.com