Bulls will be tested on the road

Volleyball travels to Ohio for two matches

The volleyball team has successfully played its way through their non-conference schedule, but the road only gets tougher in the weeks to come.

The Bulls (13-5, 1-1 Mid-American Conference) started conference play last weekend at home, defeating Miami (OH) and dropping a five-set match to Bowling Green. The loss to Bowling Green was the team's first home loss of the season.

This weekend will be another conference test for the Bulls as they travel through the state of Ohio. On Friday night, they will play their first MAC road game of the season against the Kent State Golden Flashes (7-10, 0-2 MAC). Following Friday's contest, the Bulls travel to Athens, Ohio to face one of the best teams in the conference, the Ohio Bobcats (10-5, 2-0 MAC).

With three freshmen seeing significant playing time, senior leadership will be key for the Bulls as they head on the road this weekend. According to senior Marisa Hornbaker, fellow senior Lindsey Schlegel will partner with her to assume the leadership role.

"We have several leaders," Hornbaker said. "Lindsey Schlegel comes to mind definitely, she is one of our captains both on and off the court."

Kent State hasn't played up to its full potential thus far this season, but head coach Todd Kress knows the Golden Flashes will pose a threat to the Bulls.

"They're big and athletic and they have an international kid in Liva Brivule who bangs the ball," Kress said. "She is one of the best, if not the best player in the conference, and unfortunately they've got a group of solid players around her."

Brivule has been a force for the Golden Flashes in her time there, but this season she has talent around her.

On Saturday the Bulls will take on an Ohio team that has played well this season. Athens, Ohio has proven to be a tough place for opposing MAC teams to play: the Bobcats haven't lost a game there since last October, and they were only defeated once in conference last season.

"They don't lose at home in conference play," Kress said. "So we realize for us to go in there and get a win in Athens, it's going to have to be our best match."

This weekend will go a long way in determining the fate of the Bulls this season. But the Bulls don't fear any opponent; they know that if they bring their best every night they shouldn't have a problem winning conference games.

"I don't think we're intimidated by anyone," Kress said. "We think we can beat anybody on any given night… There's a different expectation with them right now."

The action starts Friday night against Kent State at 7 p.m. and concludes with a Saturday evening tilt against Ohio.

E-mail: sports@ubspectrum.com