UB Bulls quick hits: Men’s soccer gets No. 3 seed, women’s soccer season ends in semifinals

<p>Senior Marissa Prinzbach (left)&nbsp;and senior Akelia Lain (right) celebrate a point from earlier in the season. The Bulls clinched the No. 7 seed in the MAC Tournament, their second berth in as many years.</p>

Senior Marissa Prinzbach (left) and senior Akelia Lain (right) celebrate a point from earlier in the season. The Bulls clinched the No. 7 seed in the MAC Tournament, their second berth in as many years.

Women’s soccer (11-7-3, 7-3-1 Mid-American Conference)

The Bulls ended their MAC Tournament title defense in Kalamazoo, Michigan on Friday.

Buffalo lost 1-0 to No. 2 seed Western Michigan (13-3-4, 8-1-2 MAC) in the MAC Tournament Semifinals and one of the most hyped defensive battles in the conference. The Bulls allowed a goal late in the second half after a fast break and quick cross into the net, ending their season and chance of earning a second straight NCAA Tournament bid.

Men’s soccer (7-6-4, 2-2-1 MAC)

Buffalo suffered a similar result to the women, but its itsseason lives on.

In Saturday’s regular season finale, the Bulls fell 1-0 to Western Michigan (11-3-4, 3-1-1 MAC) in Kalamazoo, Michigan. The Broncos scored on a free kick from near midfield after sophomore goalkeeper Joseph Kuta misplayed the ball in the air.

After scoring the goal, Western Michigan used its defense, which allowed just two shots in the second half, and harsh weather conditions to hold the Buffalo offense at bay for the remainder of the game.

With the loss, the Bulls enter the MAC Tournament as the No. 3 seed and advance to the semifinals to play either Akron (13-3-2, 4-0-1 MAC) or Western Michigan.

Women’s basketball

The Bulls continued exhibition play with a 79-56 victory over Daemen College on Saturday afternoon in Alumni Arena.

The Bulls held Daemen to 32.1 percent shooting from the field and outscored the Bulls 39-5 on the bench. Junior guard Joanna Smith scored a team-high 15 points and grabbed four rebounds. Sophomore guard Stephanie Reid scored four points, grabbed five rebounds and dished out three assists.

In replacing four rotation players last season, head coach Felisha Legette-Jack played all of her players, looking to see the best combinations for the regular season opener. Eleven players got at least 10 minutes.

The Bulls start the 2015-16 regular season on Saturday with a home game against LIU Brooklyn. Tipoff is set for 2 p.m.

Volleyball (7-19, 6-8 MAC)

The Bulls went 1-1 on the week, including their final home match of the season, and clinched a spot in the MAC Tournament for the second consecutive season.

On Friday, the Bulls defeated Bowling Green (6-20, 2-11 MAC) 3-1. Buffalo won the first two sets before the Falcons claimed the third set, and would close the Falcons out in the fourth set. Senior outside hitter Megan Lipski finished with a team-high 20 kills.

On Saturday, the Buffalo seniors played their final match in Alumni Arena, falling to Ball State (7-19, 6-8 MAC) 3-0. After two competitive sets, the Bulls fell in the final set 25-10. Lipski finished with nine kills, while freshman outside hitter Valisha Watkins had six kills for the Bulls.

Despite the loss, Buffalo clinched the No. 7 seed in the upcoming tournament.

The Bulls finish off the regular season with a trip to Ohio this weekend. Buffalo faces Ohio (21-6, 11-3 MAC) in Athens, Ohio Friday and Kent State (17-9, 11-2 MAC) in Kent, Ohio on Saturday. Friday’s match is set for 7 p.m., while Saturday’s is set for 3:30 p.m.

Wrestling (2-0)

After starting the season with back-to-back victories in the Terrapin Duals in College Park, Maryland, the Bulls had the week off and will resume play on Sunday, Nov. 15 with the Northeast Duals in Albany, New York. The meet begins at 9 a.m.

Sports desk can be reached at sports@ubspectrum.com.