Buffalo bites

A full dining experience at Sol?

Solé

"Sun Inspired Cocktails and Cuisine"

Where: 5110 Main Street, Williamsville

(362-0356, www.SoleBuffalo.com)

Hours: Monday-Saturday - 11a.m.-11 p.m.

Sunday – 11 a.m. – 9 p.m.

Entrée Price range: $12-$25

Home of the famous tableside-prepared guacamole, Solé restaurant offers many options for the trendy eater craving Pan Latin flavors. Featuring tapas-style appetizers, a slew of specialty beer, wine and cocktails and often times live entertainment, we recommended this restaurant to food enthusiasts. Our experience depicts a getaway from Buffalo to an oasis of vibrancy, luxury and endless explosions of flavor.

Food and drink

KA: I started off with the Caribbean Sea Margarita ($6) and enjoyed the refreshing combination of blue Curacao, pineapple juice and tropical rums. It brought me right to the beach on a sunny day in paradise.

After deciding to sample the restaurant's staple item, the tableside prepared guacamole, we were welcomed by the "Guac Man." Preparing our appetizer with fresh avocados, tomatoes, cilantro, lime juice and chopped onion, he helped to make this experience interactive and delightful. It was the best guacamole I've ever had, and I found myself almost licking the molcajete off the plate.

I was excited to try an item on the list of specialty entrées, so I ordered the slow-braised pork burrito ($13) featuring black bean spread, caramelized onions, cheddar jack cheese and house rice with a side salad topped with pomegranate vinaigrette, the house dressing. It was absolutely sensational and mixed flavors I would never think of combining. The entrée came with a cilantro lime sour cream, which added an amazing touch and left me wanting more.

SN: After debating over a few drink options, I decided that the Dragon Berry mojito ($5) sounded good. I hardly ever buy mixed drinks, but this actually tasted pretty good. Fresh ingredients of mint, rum and strawberries were prepared in a highball glass for a refreshing and pleasing taste.

Believe it or not, I've never had guacamole in my life. I decided it was time to break the cherry. Our guacamole ($12) was freshly prepared tableside in a molcajete, and I thought it was pretty good. It was the best guacamole I've ever tasted, which really doesn't say too much.

For dinner I ordered the Chicken Buenos Aires ($22). Besides serving strictly traditional Mexican/South American food, there are a couple options on the menu where Solé twists it up. My dish was one of those options. The Buenos Aires tasted similar to a chicken alfredo dish. The meat tasted great, the sherry cream sauce was perfect, and I enjoyed the red pepper pasta.

Service

KA: The service at Solé was friendly, knowledgeable, prompt and welcoming. I was greeted the moment I stepped out of my car, and many employees offered friendly gestures. Our server was awesome and really made the experience quite enjoyable. Our food was brought out in a well-timed manner that allowed us to enjoy our meal and appreciate the plethora of flavors in every course.

SN: The service at Solé was first class. There was nothing more I could have asked for. Our waiter knew everything when we asked him questions and constantly made sure we had water and tortilla chips. I had gone into the experience thinking that eating at a restaurant meant slower service, and I was pleasantly surprised.

Atmosphere

KA: The atmosphere at Solé was unique, bright, soothing and tranquil. The golden walls radiate warmth and made me feel extremely comfortable. There were motivational quotes written on various parts of the restaurant. The atmosphere is a key reason why I am so eager to go back and try another dish. For a city that has grim weather, Solé gives Buffalonians an escape from reality and a chance to feel a taste of culture from South America.

SN: One of the coolest things about Solé for me was the overall mood. I felt like I was in a South American mud brick hut, which was a good thing. The Latin-inspired music was fitting, and every decoration seemed to have a meaning. Ravens and handprints seemed to be on every wall, which represent good luck and fortune.

Price

KA: I felt my entrée was well priced and accurate for the amount of food I was given. I was even able to make another meal out of my main course. The ever-fresh guacamole was worth every penny. There is something for everyone on the menu from great tapas dishes to big entrees, offering affordable prices for any range. The drink menu was very comparable to other bar menus around the area as well. The Caribbean Sea Margarita wasn't exactly the cheapest drink I've ever ordered but a great price for the product I enjoyed.

SN: Price is one area where I had a minor gripe. I realize that a good restaurant is going to cost more than Wendy's, but I still never like the feeling of spending a lot of money on food. Solé is the kind of place to take a girl on the second date, not the first.

Worth it?

Solé offered a memorable dining experience. Everything about the restaurant screams first-class, and it is definitely worth a try. Two thumbs up.