"Student struck by car, campus safety concerns raised"

Dan Shaw was leaving ultimate Frisbee practice on Kunz Stadium across from Cooke Hall and Hochstetter Hall around 8 p.m. Tuesday night when he was hit by a car.
Shaw, a sophomore psychology major, was sent airborne when a car driven by Robert Schwaner, a senior aerospace engineering major, swerved in the rainy weather striking him while driving down Augspurger Road from Flint Road.
Shaw sustained only minor injuries and a concussion. He is also being checked for a possible knee injury.
Augspurger Road was shut down from Hadley Road to Flint Road for about 45 minutes while University Police and emergency personnel ensured the situation was under control.
Timothy Burns, a computer science graduate student was with Shaw when the accident occurred and said that the whole situation was very strange.
"We were walking back to our cars from practice and crossed the street when we saw a break in the traffic," Burns said. "We saw the car approach faster and faster. I was already across the street and two other guys ran back. Unfortunately [Shaw] got caught in the middle. He flew."
Schwaner declined comment on the situation.
Burns immediately called the University Police Department who he said arrived quickly with a Twin City ambulance and the Getzville fire company.
All precautions were taken including putting a neck collar on Shaw, carefully strapping him to a backboard and transporting him to Erie County Medical Center, according to UPD Lt. Dave Urbanek.
"We do not have any information that would indicate we will file any charges. All the pieces fit and as far as we could tell [Schwaner] was not speeding and was not drinking," Urbanek said. "There were six witnesses and four more associates…everyone kind of told the same story. It seems to have been just an unfortunate accident."
According to Burns, Shaw was released from the hospital last night trying to get some rest.
"Thankfully [Shaw] was not seriously injured," Burns said.
Burns believes that this unfortunate incident should serve as a lesson to the university. He feels that the safety of Augspurger Road should be one of UB's top priorities because of its high volume of pedestrian traffic.
"Many club and intramural sports practice on that field and park in the lots across the street. The stadium has lights but they are largely blocked by the pine trees that surround the field," Burns said.
Burns feels that UB should take some measures to ensure that pedestrians are able to cross the roads safely, such as a watch for pedestrians sign, a crosswalk or even some more on street lighting.
Burns is sure that Tuesday night's heavy rain probably contributed to the accident and understands that sometimes accidents like this cannot be prevented.
"I'm not talking about anything drastic but this area of campus needs to be made safer for pedestrians," Burns said. "I would be on board with anything UB would propose."

Additional Reporting by Jennifer Good, City Editor

E-mail: news@ubspectrum.com