Let nature rock

People usually watch movies for personal entertainment. On Earth Day, however, they'll have the opportunity to watch a flick for a good cause.

On April 22, Disneynature productions will invite people of all ages to enjoy a unique experience in its newest motion picture, Oceans.

This powerful new film offers an unprecedented look into the world's five oceans. New technologies we-re utilized to capture spectacular never-before-seen footage of some of the world's most interesting underwater creatures. For those of you who have enjoyed Discovery Channel's "Life" series, this movie will be one you won't want to miss.

While enjoying Oceans, audience members will also be helping the environment. The Disney World Wide Conservation Fund will make a generous donation to save our coral reefs with the funds coming directly from ticket sales during the movie's opening week. Disneynature, in collaboration with the Nature Conservancy, will help establish new marine protected areas in the Bahamas.

According to the Natural Conservation Organization's "Adopt a Coral Reef" program, this leading global conservation is striving to protect and conserve coral reefs all over the world, managing more than 100 marine conservation projects along all U.S. Coastal States and throughout 31 countries.

Here's how your ticket sales will benefit the cause.

New protected areas will contain miles upon miles of vital coral reefs providing not only natural habitats, but also nurseries for growing species and important feeding grounds for hundreds of marine species.

I challenge you to go see this movie, take this opportunity, and make an impact.

This Earth Day, I also challenge students to join the Surfrider Foundation, a non-profit organization dedicated to protecting our world's oceans, waves and beaches, as well as taking a pledge to "Rise above Plastics."

According the Surfrider Foundation, the Pacific Ocean holds 100-million tons of plastic in the vortex of its currents. Zooplankton is outnumbered six-to-one by plastic. Furthermore, an astonishing one million seabirds and over 100,000 marine mammals die globally each year due to entanglement or ingestion of plastics.

We need to start dramatically reducing our use of plastics today. Virtually every piece of petroleum-based plastic ever made is still circling the globe in some capacity because plastic lasts forever.

You could keep 167 single-use plastic bottles from entering the environment by taking an initiative to use just one reusable bottle.

Next time you take a trip to Wegmans, Tops or Dash's, think about buying reusable bags. You will save approximately 400 plastics bags and for every 13 bags you don't use, you can save enough petroleum to drive your car one mile. Think about it: would you rather use plastic, or get more gas for your car?

Go see Disneynature's Oceans opening week and take a pledge to rise above plastics. Let nature rock; you won't regret it.

E-mail: features@ubspectrum.com