Meet the candidates

The 2010 Ð 11 candidates gear up for a week of elections

Vasant has been active in the Senate for two years. He is currently the chairperson of the Senate and a sophomore business administration and computer engineering major.

"These experiences have really defined who I am. I can look at things with the perspective of [each job]," Vasant said. "It's important to look at things with a different perspective and not just focus on SA."

"As the chief executive officer of the [SA], it is the responsibility of the president to facilitate the execution of everything SA does," Vasant said. "There's a subtle difference between facilitating execution and actually executing."

Fried, a junior political science major with a minor in economics, admits he wasn't always the most active student, but after joining SA in his freshman year, he fell in love with the organization. He joined the Student Party last year to change what SA had become, which he says was unacceptable.

"It comes down to who has done more for the organization," Fried said. "I want students to look at every candidate and say, ‘Who do you want to send to a room with Dennis Black? Who are you comfortable with for fighting about student concerns?'"

A junior political science major from Queens, NY, Delgado wants to be the voice of students at UB.

Delgado would like to focus his efforts on UBGreen and would like to see things like flyers and pamphlets cut back, saying that money and resources could be saved without them. In their place, SA would upgrade to a more technological way of advertising, like text alerts.

Shervin Stoney has been an active member of sporting clubs since he came to UB. He founded the UB cross-country and track club, which,under his two-year presidency, grew to one of the largest sporting clubs at UB.

This year he is sports clubs coordinator and member of the senate and finance committee within senate.

The current president of UB Step Troupe, Southern, a junior political science major, says he loves helping out students.

One issue Southern is focused on is transportation for all students.

"I'm a pretty decent guy, pretty well cut out for the job," said Michael Kraich, a junior architecture and computer science major.

"It's never a bad time to make friends. We all have a common goal, and we just want to do the best for our schoolmates," Kraich said.

Antonio Roman has been with SA for two years, starting at an entry-level position and working his way up to assistant treasurer of the SA, a job that he loves.

Roman would also like to focus on turnaround time of encumbrances within SA.

Linden, a junior accounting major, has been working as a bookkeeper for SA and has been working closely with current treasurer, Jordan Fried.

"I won't take no for an answer from the administration. I want to make sure that the mandatory activity fee is going to every student," Linden said "We have over 4 million dollars. I want to make sure that there is a significant amount of money that's going to student needs all around this campus."

The only independent candidate, Escano, a sophomore business major, says he is well qualified for the job and says he gets satisfaction from it, whether he's volunteering in a soup kitchen or participating in student clubs.

Ramirez's concentration is on the budget cuts and campus dining halls. The 19-year-old sophomore accounting and Spanish major from Newburgh saw the budget cuts almost result in the removal of Dr. Craig Centrie, one of his professors from the Latino Studies department. He wants to prevent the budget cuts from resulting in more lost professors and lost classes.

"Imagine what I can do in a year as a SUNY delegate," Horn said. "I'm driven enough and I'm going to be here for another two years, so as a SUNY delegate, I can make an even bigger impact next year."

Catlin, a 19-year-old sophomore political science major, joined Student Assembly his freshman year. He's been working on amendments to give the assembly legitimacy.

"I have fought for student issues on our own campus, and I can take it to the SUNY level as well," Catlin said.

A junior psychology major, Brabham is currently an intern at SBI Health and Education and deals with students' personal and health issues. With her personal skills, she feels that she can tackle education issues that affect every student.

"[Students] are angry about the SUNY budget cuts and I feel that I'm the one who can be that voice to tell Albany that we should not have to pay for its mistakes," Brabham said.

When she first started at UB, Harb was not particularly involved in UB, choosing instead to focus on her biomedical sciences major. However, in three years, she's gone to the other extreme, becoming remarkably involved in campus life and taking on a number of leadership roles.

onas is the most experienced of all the delegates, having served in this position during the 2009-10 school year. She helped make 24-hour busing a reality and has made connections with President Simpson, Dennis Black and Gerald Schoenle.

Alsaadeh, who hails from Amman, Jordan, is intent on making it easier for foreign students to become involved at UB. He is also concerned about campus safety and transportation.

Shannon is best known for his position as a safety on the Buffalo Bulls and feels that the lessons he's learned on the field will prepare him for the delegate position.