Sweet and sour

Relationship between China and United States blows hot and cold

The mutually beneficial relationship between China and the United States has taken a rocky detour. The main reason for this recent tension is the sale of military weapons from the United States to Taiwan.
China in turn had denounced the action, saying the United States had interfered with internal affairs. As a result, China would cut military ties with the United States and impose sanctions on American firms involved with the sale.
The strength of China's rhetoric over Taiwan suggests that relations are changing in what could prove a worrisome way. In recent months, China's leaders have become more bristly in their dealings with the outside world.
None of this looks good for this incredibly important relationship. From global warming to the global economy to ending nuclear proliferation in North Korea and Iran, cooperation between the established superpower and the rising one is vital to world stability.
Why should either want to endanger this relationship?
One theory could be that, given China's impressive economic power, it can be more standoffish when sovereignty over Taiwan or Tibet is at stake. The other would be that the current administration wanted to punish the Chinese.
Remember, China was not very aggressive in tackling the global warming issue during the Copenhagen summit and wasn't quick to support new United Nations sanctions against Iran.
It is possible that bits of each theory are, in fact, true. However, this 'incident' has more going on between the lines.
America is duty-bound to provide Taiwan arms for its self-defense under the Taiwan Relations Act of 1979. Both countries knew that China's recent denouncement was only a matter of time.
So if the announcement was expected, then the United States knew what the Chinese response was going to be. The harsh words and threat of ending military relations is not a different reaction from previous incidents such as these.
The new element, which could be troubling, is the threat of sanctions against American companies involved with the deal. Many of these companies do little to no business in China, but it is unlikely that the Chinese would follow through on this threat.
When the dust settles from this scuffle, the current administration will say it has developed a 'mature' relationship with China during President Obama's first year in office. But many tests lie ahead.
Some are mainly emblematic, such as a forthcoming meeting between the president and Tibet's spiritual leader, the Dalai Lama. The meeting was supposed to occur last year, but it was delayed due to the president's impending trip to China.
Others are more substantial, such as China's reluctance to impose new sanctions on Iran or to respond to America's petition to revalue the yuan. A fall-out between China and America is always possible.
But it probably won't come over the Taiwan arms package.