On the hunt

After completing their grueling undergraduate career, many students still lack the necessary networking, conversing and planning skills needed to land the perfect career away from campus.
The Black Student Union hosted the BSU Distinguished Speaker Series on Wednesday, designed to inform students entering the workforce about skills that employers are looking for in potential employees.
Adia Jordan, a UB graduate and former BSU member, came to speak about professionalism and ways to land a desired job using the skills learned in college.
'There are a lot of different things you can do with your major,' Jordan said. 'You just have to ask … a question equals growth.'
Jordan graduated from UB in 2004 with a bachelor's degree in communication and currently serves as the communications associate for New York State Assemblywoman Crystal D. Peoples-Stokes in Buffalo, NY.
In addition to owning First Lady Enterprises, an event planning and public relations consulting firm, Jordan also serves on the Minority Women Business Enterprise, Labor, Cultural Tourism, Health, and Criminal Justice committees.
The development of First Lady Enterprises stemmed from Jordan's involvement with BSU while at UB. Jordan served as the activities coordinator for the club, where she identified event planning as one of her passions.
'Learning a transferrable skill is important,' Jordan said. 'You never know [if it could become] a job opportunity.'
While some believe Buffalo lacks the opportunities for work after college, Jordan argues that with proper networking skills and a degree of proficiency, there are many opportunities.
'Make your own business card,' Jordan said. 'It's important to be memorable. It takes more than reciting a resume to a future employer. Set yourself up for professionalism.'
As a former BSU e-board member and Delta Sigma Theta sorority member, Jordan explains that the connections she made while in college helped her find a position in the field she was interested in.
'Never say that the people you meet in your lifetime are not able to help you,' Jordan said. 'People in BSU really helped me because we worked as a team. Just because you have a relationship with someone in college, doesn't mean that the relationship can't grow and it doesn't mean that you won't need it later in life.'
Jordan recommends reading Business First and also suggests the 2010 Book of Lists. She believes it's necessary to target those companies destined for success and know about the major competitors in the area.
'You are only as good as what you research,' Jordan said. 'There are companies that are really making it happen here. There are resources.'
Jordan emphasized the importance of community activism, club involvement, and internships. These experiences tend to prepare applicants for the workforce, she said.
The next Distinguished Speaker event will feature Antwan Diggs on money management and will be held on Wednesday, Feb. 17. For more information, visit the BSU's office in 307 Student Union.

E-mail: features@ubspectrum.com