Kress prepares for the future

???New head women's volleyball coach Todd Kress is starting over at Buffalo in hopes of resurrecting a team that has struggled for several years.

???After winning 255 matches over the course of six seasons as the coach of the Florida State Seminoles, Kress feels confident about starting over up north.

???"It's only difficult if people don't buy into what we're trying to do," Kress said. "I've been very fortunate, in my first month and a half here, that our student athletes have bought into the philosophy and the work ethic it's going to take... to take that next step."

???Many new coaches come into a situation expecting a quick turnaround and for their team to understand everything right away. Even with the confidence he has in his team, Kress knows there is plenty of work to be done.

???"We are still light years away from where we need to be," Kress said. "But we do have the wheels moving forward and that is the most important thing."

Last season, the volleyball team finished up with a dismal 6-25 record and managed only one conference win in the process.

???The key to turning things around is to change the culture of losing and make the players realize that winning can happen. Kress hopes to change the mentality of his team right from the start and make the players realize that winning can happen.

???"When they see positive outcomes from the hard work they've been putting in, I think that automatically changes their mindset," Kress said.

???Kress took a season off after leaving FSU and explained that several things convinced him to come to Buffalo.

???"It was a great opportunity to come into a program that's kind of had some lean years," Kress said. "I like the direction of the athletic department right now and the programs here and their recent success."

???Kress was truly impressed with Athletic Director Warde Manuel. He thinks that the overall athletic program at Buffalo is going in a great direction under Manuel.

???Buffalo's location also appealed to Kress, who hopes to utilize the campus's proximity to other large tourist attractions to wheel in recruits.

???"I think the campus sells itself. The location, being real close to Niagara Falls and New York City, provides the opportunity to bring in some international kids," he said. "I think if we're smart with some of our recruiting decisions and really hit the right areas, I think we have an opportunity to build something real special here."

???While recruiting, Kress will be looking for certain characteristics in players. He has an interest in players who want to help build a program from the bottom. According to Kress, any player can come in and succeed with an established program, but it takes a true competitor to rebuild a program.

???This would not be the first time Kress has helped build a MAC program. Kress spent three seasons as the coach of the Northern Illinois Huskies, so he is familiar with the conference.

???Sometimes when things aren't going well for a program, the best solution is to find a new voice to relay the message. Kress hopes to be able to bring a new philosophy and mindset to the Bulls and start a new tradition.