Family man

Making the jump from high school to college athletics can be overwhelming for most college basketball players. This wasn't the case for sophomore forward Jawaan Alston.

"It wasn't really intimidating coming in," Alston said. "You just have to get used to the physical play coming in as a freshman. You have to adjust to how much faster the game is."

Alston had a successful career while playing for Albert Gallatin High School in Pennsylvania. He was named to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review's Terrific 10 during his senior year and became the school's all-time leader in scoring, rebounding and blocked shots before heading to Buffalo.

Head coach Reggie Witherspoon gave Alston a reason to head to Western New York after high school. While looking at schools, Alston searched for someone similar to his father and found numerous similarities between his father and Witherspoon.

"[Witherspoon] is a great coach," Alston said. "He really looks out for his players and really worries about not just on the court, but what you do off the court. He's really helped develop me as a person."

The reserve forward has relished the opportunity to play for the Bulls since he arrived in Western New York. Alston is averaging 2.9 points and 3.1 rebounds and has appeared in all 25 games this season.

"It's a great experience," he said. "You get to play against the best amateur athletes in the world. It's really a great test."

So far, Alston will best remember the team winning the 45th Annual Outrigger Hotels Rainbow Classic in Hawaii in December.

"It was the first thing we really won since I've been here, as a team. It was a great experience to go there and compete," Alston said.

Alston also feels the need to break away at times. The life of a student-athlete can be extremely stressful, and Alston battles through the worrisome times. He takes everything in stride, but does look forward to time with his family and friends off the court to relieve his stress.

"Hanging out with my niece and nephew is great," he said. "Family is real important to me. Like hanging out with friends, going out, playing video games is a real good time."

Alston hopes to make his way overseas to find any and all opportunities awaiting him over there in the world of basketball.

"I plan on going to go play overseas, coming back and hopefully opening up a business back here, as I'm really into business," Alston said.