Ranting about rainbows

Students stopped in their tracks upon entering the Student Union on Wednesday, where drag queens performed on a pullout stage to help preach a message of equality. However, opposition brewed outside in the form of a two-person protest.

Jim Deferio and daughter Michelle of Syracuse picketed with anti-homosexual signs outside of Knox Hall as students signed petitions and danced along with the female impersonators to songs of empowerment inside. The annual drag show is organized by the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender Alliance (LGBTA) in accordance with National Coming Out Week.

After completing two half-hour sessions of the performance, event emcee Natasha Michaels, a cast member from Club Marcella and Rhonda Fellatio, another performer, took the show outside to counter the anti-homosexual protest.

"I respect him for the simple reason that he is a human being and that he has the right to his opinion, but I have a right to mine," Michaels said.

According to Michelle, the father-daughter duo were trying to encourage others to follow the gospel, which opposes homosexuality, she said. The picket sign held by Jim read, "Thousands of ex-homosexuals have experienced the life-changing love of Jesus Christ."

This is not the only college campus where members of the Deferio family have brought their message against homosexuality. According to The Orion, the student newspaper of the California State University (CSU), the Deferio family visited eight college campuses in a two-week period in February prior to demonstrating on the CSU campus.

Earlier this month, the Deferios also protested against homosexuality on the campus of Binghamton University, according to the student-run newspaper The Pipe Dream.

"Jesus has called us to preach the gospel and college campuses are a good place to do that," Michelle said.

Initially over 20 students gathered around the religious pair. The crowd grew to over 50 people, some shouting on behalf of the pair and others against their anti-homosexual remarks.

Barak Nisim, a sophomore business major, witnessed the demonstration.

"It's fine to have your own beliefs, but it's not fine to bash on others in public," Nisim said.

A pinnacle point in the demonstration was when five UB students, not a part of the event, brought the colorful balloon arch that was on stage from inside the Student Union to make a statement of support.

Rosemarie Pacheco, a junior history major, president of the LGBTA , wanted to increase awareness for the student-run organization and the LGBT community in Buffalo.

Pacheco explained that the expression of opposition against the alternative lifestyle of the LGBT community is expected at club events by a few, but is countered by the general sentiment of others.

"It happens at almost every event that we throw-somebody will tell us that we're going to hell," Pacheco said. "But as far as we're concerned as long as the school welcomes us, the students welcome us, we're happy to be here and we're not going anywhere."

Juan Pereyra, a sophomore nursing major, thought the show was entertaining.

"I love Natasha; she's an amazing performer," Pereyra said.

The majority of the local talents for the on-campus drag show were recruited for the event from Club Marcella in downtown Buffalo, where cast members lip-synch to popular hits.

During the event, students were treated to performances from veteran acts like Fy'a Valentino and Felisha Vega, who have been booked in performances as far as Miami, Fla. They specialize in hip-hop and Latin dances and impersonations, respectively.

"Once you put on the costume, you become someone completely different," Michaels said. "I love it here. It's really neat to get all the different people's perspectives."