UB student hospitalized after assault

When Michael Bliss tuned in to the Sabres game from his hospital bed on Tuesday night, his life was completely different than when he watched last week's game at a bar on Main Street.

Early Saturday morning, Bliss was allegedly severely beaten by two UB students and a UB alumnus. Charles Jordan, 22, a senior business administration major, Michael Gunderman, 23, a psychology major, and Kevin Rowland, 23, an alumnus who currently works for the Faculty Student Association are suspects in the attack.

"It appears the victim was punched, kicked and knocked to the ground," Michael DeGeorge, spokesman for the Buffalo Police Department (BPD), wrote in an e-mail to the press.

As a result of the assault, Bliss is on a respirator and has little to no feeling in his legs. Surgery was done on his spine to repair two fractured vertebrae. The 21-year-old accounting major has been in the Intensive Care Unit at Erie County Medical Center since Saturday.

Bliss seems to have been in the wrong place at the wrong time when he was on the corner of Main Street and Winspear Avenue at 3:30 a.m. Saturday.

"He should have been at home. He was supposed to come home Friday night but he stayed to watch the Sabres game," said his mother, Cheryl Bliss.

All three suspects were arrested at the scene, though one escaped for a short time but was soon brought back into custody, according to DeGeorge. They are charged with second-degree assault and disorderly conduct.

"I think it's safe to say that the three men were all involved in some fashion," DeGeorge said.

The suspects' motives in this act of violence are not clear at this time, according to DeGeorge. At this point, the police do not think the suspects and the victim knew each other. However, the three suspects are believed to share a house on Englewood in the University Heights.

"Michael Bliss was attacked by people he did not know...for people to do that to someone is just unacceptable," said Buffalo Mayor Byron Brown, who visited Bliss and his family on Tuesday evening.

BPD homicide detectives are currently investigating the incident, but are missing a key voice. Because of the respirator, Bliss is unable to speak. In addition, he is being kept in a heavily sedated state.

"The homicide detectives are waiting to talk to Mr. Bliss. When they talk to him and the investigation unfolds a bit, there will be a clearer picture," DeGeorge said. "At this point, I think it's fair to say he was a victim."

Rowland and Jordan remain in jail, while Gunderman was released after posting $50,000 bail, according to a report by WKBW News.

Brown was shocked to hear that college students allegedly behaved in such a way, especially to a fellow UB student.

"This clearly is an incredibly senseless crime," Brown said. "You would expect college young people to have a better concept of how to behave. It shakes the sense of community to a degree, but I think it's important for the college community to reflect on the importance of non-violence."

Brown is trying to prevent crimes like this from happening on several different fronts.

"We have made a significant investment in police protection, trying to add 100 new police officers that should hit the streets in July, placing surveillance cameras in different parts of the city, and just trying to let people know that if they commit a crime in this city, that they will be caught and they will be brought to justice," Brown said.

However, Brown doesn't necessarily think an increased police presence is the cure to the plague of criminal activities in the city.

"Even if there were another 300 police officers on the street, this type of incident probably, unfortunately, could not have been prevented. It's people themselves behaving responsibly and respectfully that have to prevent this kind of behavior from occurring by not being involved in it," Brown said.

The mayor stressed the importance of education in preventing crimes.

"I think it really comes down to education...this is certainly a behavior that you don't expect college students to be engaged in," Brown said. "Clearly, more education about the importance of non-violence, responsible drinking and respect for others [is needed]."

Bliss' friends and family all agree that he is not the type of person to initiate a conflict.

"We've been out as a group together and people have said stuff to us, but Mike has never said anything. If anything, he's the kid that pushes everyone along saying to keep going," said Jenna Vacca, a sophomore nursing major who has known Bliss for several years.

Bliss does not have a history of getting in trouble or getting in fights, his mother said. Those closest to Bliss call him a "generous" and "caring" person with a "good conscience."

"I think Michael is everybody's big brother," Cheryl Bliss added.

Cheryl Bliss is thinking positive, but can't help but think that her son, who is very health-conscious and likes to work out, will experience some frustration in the months ahead as he recovers.

"He's worried. We've been giving him a lot of reassurance...it's going to be hard for him to get back there [physically]," she said.

Bliss has a strong support system. Many family members drive from Rochester to Buffalo every day just to see him for a few minutes during visiting hours.

"He's a strong young man with a great deal of spirit and a very close-knit family, he has tremendous family support, and he has people throughout the Buffalo community, and I'm sure the Rochester community, that are praying for him," Brown said.