Tuesday, May 07, 2024

Maher presents athletic teams' progress to Faculty Senate

Fresh off the men's basketball team's unprecedented success this season, interim Athletic Director Bill Maher addressed the progress and future of UB athletics on Wednesday at a Faculty Senate Executive Committee meeting in Capen Hall.

Maher gave a broad-based presentation to the committee where he discussed the department's role in the UB community, the performance of its student-athletes, funding issues, and strategies and priorities that will determine the next steps the program takes.

"We keep score," Maher said. "It is measurable year in and year out, both in the games we play and in how we compete with our peers. Our goals are championships in the Mid-Atlantic Conference."

Along with winning championships, Maher said out-of-state student-athletes are a "key driver" in the recruitment process, both in athletic talent and revenue.

"It's a longitudinal approach," Maher said. "They compete, then go back home and tell their friends, who in turn enroll here."

Last season, UB's men's basketball team played on national television four times, Maher said. And in either 2005 or 2006, the football team will also play a nationally televised game with a yet-to-be determined opponent.

"Increasing enrollment of students from out of state is an institutional goal," Maher said. "And having more national exposure aids in this objective."

In addition, he said the athletic department is a "front porch" or "window" into the university because its teams are often featured in regional newscasts and print media, which has "a big impact on the community and campus."

Maher also noted the important role finances play in ensuring continual successes in its athletic endeavors. He pointed out that at more prominent athletically successful schools, athletic departments spend more than twice the amount UB does.

Of the $15 million allocated to the department - which comes from student fees, state aid, and generated revenue - three quarters is earmarked for scholarships, academic aid, travel, and "overhead expenses."

"We have 336 kids not receiving full athletic scholarships, and 87 percent say that they would not have chosen UB if they could not have participated in Division I athletics," Maher said in stressing the importance of UB's program.

Peter Nickerson, the committee's chairman, said it was refreshing to openly hear about the athletic department's finances.

"I was very impressed seeing him in action," Nickerson said of Maher's presentation. "Many times in the past things were not disclosed surrounding budgetary issues. In fact, they were quite secretive, and I was impressed with the openness and candor that he displayed throughout."

Maher's presentation concluded with a brief question and answer session from committee members in which the recent dismissal of the women's basketball coach was addressed, along with what is being done to improve intramural recreational activities on campus for UB students.

Nickerson opened the meeting by issuing a resolution to commend Margaret Paroski, who leaves UB in April, for a job well done as both the interim vice president for Health Affairs and the interim dean for the School of Medicine.

During his opening report, Nickerson said a "marketing campaign" geared toward the freshman parking policy next semester will feature "a heavy visual presence" in the parking lots so that the "park and ride" program is fully understood by everyone.

The recent UB 2020 planning report was also touched upon, as was a faculty code of conduct report, which is being compiled and nearing completion.

UB President John B. Simpson and Provost Satish K. Tripathi were not able to attend the meeting due to schedule difficulties and prior commitments.

The next FSEC meeting will focus on mental health issues concerning students. Health science specialists will address the committee.