Tuesday, May 07, 2024

"Coulter, Reno get ready to rumble"

Conservative author Ann Coulter and former U.S. Attorney General Janet Reno will go toe to toe in a highly anticipated debate Thursday night at Alumni Arena.

Free student tickets are still available for the debate, which is part of the Distinguished Speakers Series. Three thousand tickets have already been handed out, according to Bill Regan, director of the Office of Special Events.

Regan said he is happy with the demand for tickets so far.

"We are never sure if students will gravitate to any event but we are very pleased with the demand for tickets that the debate has generated," Regan said.

Many UB students said the debate has the campus buzzing with excitement because of the contentious nature of Coulter's political demeanor.

"Most of my mass media class is going," said Joe Donohue, junior political science major. "A few have agendas," he laughingly added. "I hope security is ready."

Although many liberal students are quick to shoot down Coulter, Donohue said he wants to see what she has to say before drawing conclusions.

"I don't know much about her background but it seems as though a lot of the reaction surrounding her is due to what she is perceived for. I don't side with her politically, but I want to go find out for myself," Donohue said.

Coulter is a lawyer, syndicated columnist and author of the bestsellers "Treason: Liberal Treachery from the Cold War to the War on Terror," "Slander: Liberal Lies About the American Right," and "High Crimes and Misdemeanors: The Case Against Bill Clinton."

Reno became the first female Attorney General under President Bill Clinton, in charge of the Justice Department during the Branch Davidian fiasco in Waco, Tex. and the Eli?Ae?n Gonzalez controversy in Miami while advocating women's and children's rights.

Some students said they are looking forward to the debate on the issues, but aren't necessarily going to pay attention to the personalities involved.

"I care about what affects me, and the country I live in, not the personalities or degree of celebrity that they (Coulter and Reno) have attained," said Kelly Crangle, a senior psychology and early childhood major.

The debate's format will be moderated by WBFO's News Director Mark Scott and consist of brief opening remarks, starting with Coulter, followed by rebuttals and further expansion of ideas, Regan said. Questions from the audience and panelists will follow.

Among the planned debate topics are the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan, Social Security reform, and what can be done to insure a "united" America as the country moves into the future.

The event is part of UB's ongoing Distinguished Speakers Series, which continues on April 7 with scholar Dr. Michael Eric Dyson and concludes on April 27 with author Salman Rushdie.