BJ Walks Into the Sunset

For Bulls, Walker Is Out of Sight and Out of Mind

Mum is the word from the Athletics Department and men's basketball team on the subject of BJ Walker's recent release from the Buffalo Bulls roster.

"This is the best for all parties involved," said Bulls' head coach ReggieWitherspoon. Witherspoon declined further comment on the subject.

The men's basketball team allowed Walker to depart after a conversation was held between his parents, Willie and Suzanne, and interim UB Athletics Director Bill Maher via the telephone.

Walker had been sidelined with a back injury for most of the season and played in only a few games this season, averaging 7.2 points and 5.2 rebounds per game.

Those involved in the situation, including Assistant Athletics Director for Communications Paul Vecchio do not seem concerned with Walker's departure, citing the team's recent surge in winning four out of the last five games with Walker nowhere to be seen.

While Vecchio was unsure if Walker is still enrolled at the university as of press time, he said he had not seen him around Alumni Arena or anywhere on campus.

According to Witherspoon, Walker, a Cincinnati native, intends to transfer out of UB. He was cleared to play this season after recovering from the back injury, but was looking to earn himself another year of eligibility by redshirting his lost season of 2003-04.

The conditions of the 6-foot 9-inch forward's release include not transferring to a Mid-American Conference, or any of the other local "Big 4" schools, Canisius, St. Bonaventure or Niagara.

The Spectrum was unable to contact Walker as of press time Tuesday night.