Zodiaque's Past and Present 'Celebrate 30'

UB's eclectic Zodiaque Dance Company is about to enter a new chapter. With opening night of "Celebration 30" set for Thursday night, the group's 30th anniversary production will include work by current dance students as well as alumni of the company.

"The fact that it has been sustained for such a long time is very special," says Zodiaque director Thomas P. Ralabate, also an associate professor of theatre and dance.

"Celebration 30" will also be a reunion of past dancers, choreographers, directors and faculty members. Adding to the nostalgia of their pasts, almost all of the dance pieces will be choreographed by guest Zodiaque alumni members.

"The purpose of 'Celebration 30' is to have former students, who are artists in their own right, come back to showcase what we produced," said Ralabate.

"All the choreography has been done by graduates," said Lynne Kurdziel-Formato, associate director of the Zodiaque Dance Company and assistant professor of theatre and dance. "These are the people who have gone on to be the movers and shakers of this field."

Over the years, Zodiaque has constantly dished out a multitude of performances with a wide range of dance genres, including jazz, ballet, tap and hip-hop. "Celebration 30" will include even more diverse elements, such as square dancing, tribal kudos drumming and a jazz piece with the energy resembling that of an episode of the mobster TV show "The Sopranos."

"It is interesting to see that (the alumni choreographers) have all found their own views. The same people who came up of the same background came up with so many dance idioms and outlooks on dance," said Kurdziel-Formato.

"This performance exposes a very eclectic range of dance. These are guest choreographers I have never seen before," said Nicole Calabrese, a senior dance major who is performing in two pieces in "Celebration 30."

Faculty members, each of whom have performed with Zodiaque in the past, choreograph the last portion in the concert. Music used in the piece include Bea Arthur's "The 11th Hour," likening Zodiaque to a flock of birds coming together then leaving, while new birds join in. The music then changes to "These Are Special Times" by Celine Dion, to show that these are special times for the dance company and the larger community it serves.

"What is unique about that piece is that it is done with projections which will feature photographs of all the generations of Zodiaque," said Ralabate. "It is a gift to anyone who has ever been a part of what we do. It is a gift to each other for sharing time together, which is very special when you work in this field.

To commemorate this special 30th anniversary event, the group will present the first UB Zodiaque Dance Company Distinguished Alumni Awards to prominent alumni, as well as the first UB Zodiaque Dance Company Director's Awards to individuals who gave significant visibility and support to the company.

Representing his work on Broadway, Jeffry Denman, who has appeared in musicals "How to Succeed In Business Without Really Trying," "Cats" and the smash-hit "The Producers," will receive an award, as will Jeanne Goddard, professor of dance at Wells College, and Associate Director of Gus Giordano Jazz Dance Chicago Jon Lehre.

"We tried to cover our bases," said Tressa G. Crehan, associate director of Zodiaque and assistant professor of theatre and dance. "Students (come) out the program so they may fall into those three areas and many other tributaries."

To be participating in "Celebration 30" is also a major event for current members.

"It meant the world to me. This is going to be a big thing and I want to be a part of it," said Nicole Cotton, senior dance major.

A 30-year history of illustrious dance achievements have shaped and formed the Zodiaque Dance Company of today.

"Every single person that works with Zodiaque - be it choreographers, or the faculty members, the directors, the students - they leave a mark on the company and help the company evolve," said Crehan. "Just like the term 'zodiaque,' with all the signs and stars; everyone leaves a pebble and keeps evolving from that."

"To have a company within a university setting being sustained for 30 years is probably because of a very nurturing faculty, a very strong vision from its founder, Linda Swiniuch, and students who are really eager to change the face of dance constantly," said Ralabate.

"Zodiaque 30" runs Thursdays through Sundays until Nov. 23 at the CFA Drama Theatre. Tickets are available at the CFA box office and at all Ticketmaster locations.