Sidelines

Volleyball

Buffalo suffered a pair of shutouts over the weekend as the Bulls (8-13, 0-7 MAC) fell to MAC opponents Miami (6-11, 1-4) and Ball State (10-5, 5-0) by identical 3-0 scores.

Against Miami junior Lindsay Matikosh's nine-game streak of double doubles ended as she finished with nine kills and nine digs. Alexis Bouie and Katie Weekley added six and five kills respectively. It was the RedHawks' first conference win of the season

Against the Cardinals sophomore Kathryn Henry recorded a team-high 11 kills and eight digs. Matikosh finished with six kills and a team-high nine digs and Bouie added nine kills. Katie Butts led Ball State with 13 kills and nine digs.

The Bulls return home to host Toledo on Friday, Oct. 18 at 7 p.m. and Central Michigan on Sunday, Oct. 20 at 3 p.m. in Alumni Arena.

Cross Country

The University at Buffalo's men's and women's cross country teams scored a perfect 15 points each to take first place at the UB Open on Saturday.

In the men's race, the Bulls posted the top 12 finishes overall and 14 of the top 15. Senior Jerimie Slick won the 8K men's race with a time of 25:50. In the women's race senior Christina Keck took the individual title in 18:49 for the 5K race. UB's women's runners took the first 12 spots in the race.

UB's top runners head to the Pre-NCAA meet in Terre Haute, IN for next Saturday's race that will feature some of the top teams from around the country. The rest of the team will travel to Rochester to race in the Roberts Wesleyan Invitational. Both events begin at 11:00 am.

Men's Tennis

UB scored a 5-2 victory at the University of Vermont Friday afternoon. The match was the first win of the season for the Bulls (1-0) while the Catamounts fell to 3-3 in the fall season.

Number one player Fery Kasiman dropped the first set, 7-6, but rallied to take the second set, 7-5, and scored a 10-2 win in the tiebreaker. UB's next three players, Nick Zieziula, Randy Rocchio and Josh Liederman rolled to straight set victories.

The Bulls swept the doubles competition with Rocchio and Zieziula posting an 8-5 win at number one. Kasiman/Liederman and Raiker/Popielarczyk scored 8-6 wins over their opponents in the number two and three matches to secure the doubles point for the Bulls.

UB travels to Binghamton for a 3:00 p.m. match against the Bearcats on Saturday.

Sports Editor Rick Owczarzak and the UB Athletic Department contributed to this report.