Letter To the Editor

Before anyone gets on their soapbox, let me put my bias on the table: I am a conservative Christian Republican. Didn't think there were any at UB, did you? After spending several years here, I know there is an overwhelmingly liberal slant to our university. It comes through in the little things - from the perennial illegal chalkings by such groups as the LGBTSA or PETA to the required reading selections that 'rewrite' history.

Most frustrating and perhaps damaging are the professors, instructors and TAs that have no problem with letting their political beliefs spill over into the classroom. It may be fashionable to bash George W. Bush and scoff at those who question Darwin's dogma, but is it right? There are clearly some exceptional professors who leave their personal political beliefs at the door, yet sadly, they are the exception. At the very least, instructors should inform students of their own clear political biases, if it will create an uncomfortable learning environment.

Today, David Horowitz will be at UB to speak about "university bias." Horowitz has written several controversial books, including "Hating Whitey and Other Progressive Causes," "Radical Son" and "Uncivil Wars." He is not afraid to speak on subjects that most consider taboo and "politically incorrect." Open to the public and free of charge, at 7 p.m. tonight in 112 Norton Hall, he will give his take on discrimination - university-style.