Bulls Report Card

Exam 5: Ohio 34, Buffalo 32

Running Game

Much better in the second half than in the first half, but it was only because the passing game was absolutely tearing the Bobcats apart. Running back Aaron Leeper gained only 63 yards on 19 carries, 46 of which came in the second half. The line had trouble opening holes against the Ohio three man front. A couple of reverses to wide receiver Tim Dance gave UB 85 yards rushing as a team.
Grade: C+

Passing Game

Superb. Three players had career highs for Buffalo as they racked up 350 yards through the air. Quarterback Randall Secky continued to show poise and improvement with a career high 29 completions on 41 passes for three touchdowns and no interceptions. Receiver Andre Forde had 12 catches for 202 yards and two touchdowns, and Chad Bartoszek had 8 catches for 61 yards. This unit kept the Bulls in the game.
Grade: A

Run Defense

The Bobcats ran roughshod over a limping UB front seven, which had two significant injuries during the game, to Bryan Cummings and Jason Coley. The defensive line couldn't penetrate and had a tough time shedding blocks on the option. They received little help from the secondary, as the cornerbacks had a difficult time getting away from Ohio receivers. The Bobcats gained 406 yards on 73 carries for a 5.6 yard average.
Grade: D-

Pass Defense

Ohio only completed six of their nine passes, but gained 99 yards on those six completions. Wide open receivers and poor tackling after the catch plagued Buffalo on a couple of the Bobcats' bigger plays.
Grade: C-

Special Teams

Scott McMahon's punts were booming and the coverage on both kickoffs and punts was outstanding. Returns were a bit worse, but mostly because Ohio kicked the ball well, forcing three touchbacks and two fair catches. Kicker Dallas Pelz was perfect 2 for 2 on field goals but a missed extra point probably would have forced overtime and hurt the Bulls big time.
Grade: B

Coaching

A solid offensive game plan but the defense struggled mightily. Adjustments at halftime helped UB outscore Ohio 29-13 in the second half. Defense couldn't stop Dantrell Jackson and the option, unless Jackson helped out by fumbling the ball. Many questions surround the coaching staff's decision on when to call a timeout before the game winning field goal, but after about an hour and a half of guessing and second guessing, I don't think anything UB did differently would have affected the outcome.
Grade: B