Developing a memorial

In a few weeks' time, the United States will mark the one-year anniversary of Sept. 11. Although the day will be memorialized for years to come, will Americans spend it as a day of mourning and remembrance, as they do Memorial Day, or as a celebration of patriotism, in the likeness of the Fourth of July?

Since Sept. 11, the United States has seen a surge in patriotism that has united the country, but Americans have also been witness to the repercussions of terrorism: increased security at airports, concerts and sporting events; threats of continuing violence; and widespread fear of future attacks. Now, one year later, Americans are forced to confront the anniversary of the events that initiated mass hysteria and grief.

"I think (Sept. 11) will definitely not be anything like the Fourth of July. It'll be more somber and reflective," said Liam Burke, a junior theater and English major.

Sophomore Erin Garnder, a communication major, agreed.

"It's nothing to celebrate," said Garnder. "We were attacked. Lots of lives were lost."

Although some students felt that Sept. 11 would be spent quietly, others thought that time was the key element in the possible transformation from memorial to celebration.

"I think (initially) it might be more somber because it's more new and fresh in everyone's mind," said Kim La Haye, a junior international business major. In the future, she said, when the loss of loved ones is not so fresh in memory, the day may gradually change its tone to one of generational American pride.

Gardner had similar thoughts. "I think that eventually, as time goes on, it'll develop (into a more patriotic holiday) - not as much as the Fourth of July, but we're just more united now."

UB student Jeana Varghese expressed a different opinion of what Sept. 11 may come to mean to future generations.

"I think it'll be a time when more families get together and count their blessings," she said. Varghese said that since Sept. 11, "People have stepped back. We were such a money-money-money country; I think more people have stopped and realized they shouldn't work seventy hours a week, (that) they should spend more time with their families."

La Haye said she, too, has observed changes in American people, but from a slightly different perspective, as a Canadian who has been living in America for the past three years.

"In Montreal, there are flags everywhere; people are proud to be Canadian. I never saw flags in cars (in the United States) before. Now you see more flags. I think people have become more patriotic."

According to Burke, however, the initial rise in patriotism has slowed as the months have passed, a trend he described as typically American.

"As with almost everything with Americans, (patriotism is) slowly ebbing down," said Burke. He said, however, that while some tragedies are later treated casually once the initial emotions have faded, the events surrounding Sept. 11 will never be taken lightly.

"I think people have woken up a little bit," said Burke. "Before 9/11, America was on top of the world. Now people have woken up and have realized that there are people who don't like us."