Play Review

Exploring Duality, Shadow and Light

It could be said that within each person there is both good and evil, constantly pulling against each other. What if one's dark side were so subdued it separated from the person, setting out to fulfill its dark desires unrestrained by decency?

Such is the premise of "Shadow Serenade," the current musical production at the Alleyway Theatre.

The musical, based on a story by James Engelhard, tells the story of a poor photographer, Damon, played by Keith Ersing, whose only goal and aspiration in life is to capture the beauty and truth of the world. With no public interest in his work, he is forced to shoot portraits and becomes a sad and struggling artist.

One night Damon's shadow, played by Tom Owen, leaves him to pursue a different life. He becomes successful only by blackmail and deception. Ironically, the shadow gains his riches by photographing societal evils.

With most of the scenes set at night, the lighting of the theatre is dark. The stage props, backdrops and even much of the costuming give a dismal aesthetic, supported by the story line and gray tones of the music.

The shadow later returns to its master, declaring its superiority. The two travel the world together, with a clever stage structure serving as a train car to transport them to other countries while various cast members, adorned in regional clothing, represent the pair's progression.

The shadow, Nomad, becomes arrogant and forces the photographer to act as his own shadow. They meet a beautiful queen who is deceived by the true shadow, leading to a tragic finish.

Music and lyrics were all written by Neal Radice, founder and executive director of Alleyway, who also directed the play and its lighting. The music is mainly organ and keyboard-based with little variation, but provides a fitting tone. Lyrics were very useful and told the story with creativity.

The performers, composed of Stephanie Bax Fontanella, Mark Skura, Victoria Perez, and Andrew Brown, were presented as portraits of Damon. They come to life to tell his sad story, soon returning to their miserable fate, forever preserved in a portrait gallery.

The performer's voices complimented each other extremely well, their harmonies delightful to listen to and their solos weighted with gripping emotions.

The small Alleyway Theatre, which seats an audience of less than 100, is funded by agencies and divisions of the county, city and state, as well as by public donations. Shows are held on Thursdays at 7:30 p.m., Fridays and Saturdays at 8 p.m., and Sundays at 2 p.m. through and including May 5.

General admission for the "Shadow Serenade" is $20 for the public and $10 for students available daily at the Box Office, 45 minutes before each performance, by phone at 852-2600, or online at http://www.alleyway.com.

"Shadow Serenade"

Alleyway Theatre

Through May 5

852-2600

$10 Student Ticket