Tuesday, May 07, 2024

"Jordan, Dzvonick Sign NFL Contracts"

Wednesday afternoon one grizzled football veteran addressed a throng of fans, envisioning a return to the playoffs and maybe more, outside Ralph Wilson Stadium. That morning two UB college football seniors addressed a small gathering of media members in the Alumni Arena media room.

While these three players are miles apart, both literally and career-wise, they have one thing in common: All three are in the National Football League.

Omari Jordan and Bob Dzvonick, two members of the UB defensive line, have each signed NFL free agent contracts the players announced Wednesday - which also marked the arrival of the Buffalo Bills' new starting quarterback Drew Bledsoe. Jordan, a defensive tackle, was signed by the Baltimore Ravens. Dzvonick, also a defensive tackle, signed with the Cincinnati Bengals.

During Sunday's later rounds of the 2002 NFL Draft, ESPN analysts speculated that hundreds of college football players throughout the nation were nervously watching, hoping to be selected. Jordan revealed that he was one of them.

"Early Sunday morning, like 10 minutes before the draft, I got a call from [Ravens] Defensive Line Coach Rex Ryan. . He was saying that he liked what he had seen on film about me and how I fit into their scheme," the 6-foot-6, 305-pound Jordan said. "He was looking to pick me late, like in the sixth or seventh round. I was in front of the TV biting my nails, he called me when the sixth round went by and said that personnel decided to go with someone else. I got called again after the seventh round, I didn't get picked, they said personnel decided to do the same thing.

"After the draft I was nervous. I was cleaning up the house and it wasn't even dirty. About a half hour later, [Ryan] gave me a call and said that the deal was still on the table if I wanted it and I said, 'Of course.' I told him I'd play for free. The weight of the world just went off my shoulders. It was a nice experience to finally get that call; it has been a life-long dream."

Dzvonick had a more relaxing Sunday. He spent the day fishing, knowing that he was not going to be selected. Still, he had a sleepless night after his phone failed to ring after the draft.

"Sunday night I was really planning on getting a call, my agent was telling me that he talked to some people," Dzvonick said. "So I'm sitting around Sunday night and I'm like 'Oh man, I hope I get a call,' and then my phone finally rings and it's Omari saying that he just signed with the Baltimore Ravens. I'm like, 'Don't be calling man, I'm waiting for someone else to call.' Sunday night came and went and I was going crazy, I'm like, 'Is this the last time I am ever going to play football?'"

Dzvonick missed his phone call while attending an acting class Monday.

"As soon as I got out of my car my roommates were all sitting at the window saying my answering machine was full of messages. So I climb up into my room and I play the first message and its Tim Krumrie, the defensive line coach from the Bengals, he said they wanted to bring me in as a free agent. The next message was my agent saying, 'Why aren't you by the phone?' The third message was Krumrie again saying, 'We took it upon ourselves and signed you.'"

Jordan and Dzvonick anchored a Buffalo defense that finished fourth in the MAC in total defense last season. The Bulls dramatically cut their points allowed in 2001, giving up 286 compared to 452 the year before.

"These are two guys that have had productive college careers," UB Head Coach Jim Hofher said. "These guys participate in the dirtiest work in football, which is playing defensive line on the inside. It's not stuff that you would naturally do, get in front of somebody else, get in front of a car, and that's what it is, your kind of getting in front of a car and you have to prevent yourself from being run over."

Several members of the media were curious about the dollar figure the players will be making. As it turned out, so were Jordan and Dzvonick.

"I don't know what I got yet," Jordan said. "They were negotiating with my agent, but who knows. I'm feeling the same way as Bob, I'll play for a dollar."

"That's what I told Krumrie," Dzvonick said. "I'm like, 'Sir I don't care what you pay me, it doesn't matter, I'll play for nothing.'"

The work is just beginning for the former Bulls. Thursday night, Jordan flew out of Buffalo to participate in Ravens mini-camp, which begins Monday. For Dzvonick, Bengals mini-camp starts Thursday.

Each player will face stiff competition as they attempt to make their NFL teams. The Ravens, who signed productive running back Priest Holmes - now with the Kansas City Chiefs - as an undrafted free agent, signed 33 free agents, at least six of whom are defensive linemen. Dzvonick joins 19 other college free agents at Bengals camp.

"Sunday I relished the moment, but Monday, I put my game face on," Jordan said. "I got this shot, and I'm not going to let this opportunity go."

"I want to play for this club and I know I can," said Dzvonick. "This is my shot and I'm going to go out and do it."