"UB Green Saves UB Greenspace, Greenbacks"

UB is a little greener thanks to UB Green, the university division responsible for recycling across campus. So far, the program has helped save 2,000 trees each year through its work with UB's Computer Information and Technology.

According to Erin Cala, environmental educator for UB Green, the program recently asked CIT to use 100-percent post-consumer paper in their offices.

"CIT said, 'Sure, we'll try it,'" said Cala. "CIT has been really supportive of anything we bring to them."

CIT tested the new paper in a few of their labs and, after finding it did not jam and there was no difference in either color or texture between the new paper and the old, began to use post-consumer paper in all its locations.

"So all the paper in all of the CIT labs and in all the libraries is 100-percent post-consumer paper," Cala said.

UB Green was also responsible for the addition of recycling stations for both 3.5-inch floppy disks and CDs in all of the large CIT computing labs, including the library computing centers.

In addition, UB Green has added over 85 new plastic, glass and metal recycling stations throughout the North and South campuses.

In 1998, students performed a dumpster dive in which a dumpster is emptied and the garbage sorted through in an effort to determine how much recyclable material was being sent to landfills. Cala said the dumpster dive revealed that half of the garbage going to landfills was potentially recyclable.

At that time, between 10 and 15 plastic, glass and metal recycling stations were scattered around campus. Based on the dumpster dive numbers, UB Green increased the number of stations to over 100 last summer.

"The biggest hurdle is making people aware because the people who make up the university don't recycle," said Michael Dupre, associate vice president for university facilities.

Dupre said UB Green aims "to help departments with their conservation efforts and to increase the awareness of environmental issues."

The UB Green office began in the early 1980s, primarily due to the efforts of the university energy officer, Walter Simpson.

"[Simpson] felt he could save UB money through recycling," said Cala.

UB Green helps the university by decreasing its landfill charge, the fee levied to dump garbage in a landfill.

UB Green also works with the architecture department to develop so-called "green" buildings that utilize environmentally-friendly materials and designs. Green buildings ideally support themselves through natural lighting and solar or wind power.

"They save [UB] $9 million annually," said Dupre of UB Green's energy conservation efforts.

The office started out with no staff except for student volunteers and no official recognition. The university officially recognized UB Green in 1990 and supplied a staff member and a budget.

"We began doing energy conservation projects, recycling and offering student internships," said Cala.

The office's energy conservation efforts have been recognized even outside campus borders. In 1997, UB Green won the national award for energy conservation, according to Dupre.