Bulls Football Report Card

Exam 11 - Akron 41, Buffalo 14

Rushing Offense

UB never abandoned the run despite spotting the Zips a 31-point lead in the first half. In fact, they actually ran the ball more than they passed, rushing 34 times as opposed to 31 passing attempts. The Bulls totaled 153 rushing yards for the game, with Gordon getting the bulk of the work: 15 carries for 92 yards. Buffalo was persistent with the run, and the o-line opened up some nice holes.
Grade: B

Passing Offense

Freedy threw three interceptions before being knocked out of the game with what was termed as a sprained medial collateral ligament. Those three picks hurt the Bulls tremendously; one was even returned for a TD. Buffalo never found their timing with the pass, receivers were chucked at the line, and the Zips often forced Freedy to throw early.
Grade: D

Rushing Defense

The Zips ran for 217 yards on 54 carries. When the game was out of hand, everyone in the stadium knew Akron was going to run to keep the clock moving, and UB still could not stop them. The Zips' use of play-fakes and deception threw off an over-pursuing Bulls defense.
Grade: C-

Passing Defense

This really was not the problem for UB defensively. Akron, however, used their running game to set up the pass. Buffalo's safeties often bit on the play-action, leaving the Bulls secondary in disarray.
Grade: B-

Special Teams

It was a game of big plays, and there was none bigger than Akron receiver Matt Cherry's 74-yard punt return for a TD. UB, however, did manage to block a Zips field goal attempt. Pelz missed his only field goal opportunity on the day.
Grade: C-

Coaching

This debacle had less to do with coaching and more to do with the players. UB's execution was severely lacking, and the better team won the football game. Why the Bulls came out so flat is a mystery to everyone. Hofher was not the one throwing picks and missing blocks.
Grade: B