Fantasy Foresight

Fantasy football picks for week one

Rams at Redskins 9/20/15
Rams at Redskins 9/20/15

Every year, fantasy football becomes a bigger part of the football watching experience. It creates a more dynamic way to watch games and allows the spectator to get involved. In the last few years, the rise of weekly fantasy leagues has become more prevalent. Many players have stayed the traditional route of drafting a team prior to the year and continuing through the season with that roster. But many people like the fresh start every week that sites like DraftKings.com or FanDuel.com provide.

To cater to both styles, The Spectrum will be picking a team of the week and giving the long-term players some sleeper picks and players to stay away from each week. The team of the week will be based on DraftKings.com’s $50,000 team budget and utilize their player pricing. The sleeper and stay away picks will be on the bubble players.

Position Player Price
Quarterback Alex Smith, vs PHI $5,700
Running Back Ezekiel Elliott, @ DEN $7,800
Running Back Marshawn Lynch, vs NYJ $6,000
Wide Receiver Brandin Cooks, @NO $8,200
Wide Receiver Tyreek Hill, @KC $6,200
Wide Receiver Adam Thielen, @PIT $5,000
Tight End Martellus Bennett, @ATL $3,900
Flex Corey Davis, @ JAX $4,100
Defense Los Angeles Rams, vs WAS $3,000

Start ‘em:

Cooper Kupp, vs WAS – Kupp had a great debut game last week and was the most targeted Rams receiver. I expect that to continue for the 6’2” rookie. Woods looked like a favorite to be the number two guy with Watkins, but if week one is any indication, Kupp may be his number one.

The Redskins pass defense gave up 300 passing yards last week to Carson Wentz, and I expect fellow second year quarterback Jared Goff to be able to do at least as well with a better receiving core than the Eagles. Kupp will be a big part of that success if it happens.

Ty Montgomery, @ATL – Montgomery only averaged 2.8 yards per carry in week one which isn’t very good but the Packers let him run 19 times and he found the end zone so I don’t expect the Packers to shy away from him now. Atlanta’s run defense isn’t as strong as Seattle’s so Montgomery should be able to raise that average Sunday.

A running back wearing a number in the 80’s certainly means he can contribute in the passing game as well and in a PPR league he becomes a big asset.

Corey Davis, @JAX – I like this class of rookie receivers. Davis was a dominant force in the MAC last year and week one he showed that it wasn’t just because of the competition. He was the most targeted receiver for the Titans and had the second most catches.

Jacksonville handled their business against the Texans in week one but the Titans offense has more firepower. I expect this division game to be a lot closer and I expect Davis to be involved heavily.

Sit ‘em:

Derrick Henry, @ JAX – Speaking of the Titans offense, I expect them to do well but in the run game, DeMarco Murray will handle the workload. Going back to last year, Murray had more than twice as many carries as Henry and I don’t see it turning around too much this year. I also expect the Titans to be pass heavy all year anyway.

If you’re desperate for a flex, a running back with his size and that offensive line is always a threat to score inside five yards but I wouldn’t bank on it happening.

Jamison Crowder, @LAR – Terrelle Pryor is the new favorite target in Washington and with Jordan Reed there too, Crowder is third on the list. He still had seven targets in week one but only brought in three. I think playing an improved defense won’t help his numbers in week two.

The Rams’ defense was no joke in week one. But that was against Scott Tolzien. Kirk Cousins should certainly outplay Tolzien but I expect the Rams to still have a strong showing.

Brandon Marshall, vs DET - The Giants looked horrible in week one. The run game was completely stagnant and the pass game managed 220 yards but looked unimpressive. Odell Beckham’s presence was clearly missed. There is a possibility he will be back this week, which would be beneficial for every Giants player from a fantasy standpoint.

Though he would take targets away from Marshall, the offense should be moving exponentially better. Marshall would get a smaller percentage of a bigger pie. Without Beckham, Marshall and the rest of the Giants will have similar numbers to last week.

Daniel Petruccelli is the Co-Senior sports editor and can be reached at daniel.petruccelli@ubspectrum.com