UB eliminates late night bus weekend routes

University officials released a revised UB Stampede bus schedule for the fall semester that concludes the late night weekend service route between North and South Campuses, known to many residents as a "drunk bus" route. The buses will stop at 1:30 a.m. on Fridays an Saturdays. 

A 24-hour bus service will still be offered, but the buses will run every half hour from the Flint Road loop.

University officials responded to complaints from University Heights residents last year by cutting back on late night buses from six to three buses and introducing the Stampede Fun Run route, which features entertainment options on Maple Road and transports students to places such as Anchor Bar, AMC Theater and Planet Fitness.

The revised schedule expands Stampede services to late night events and programs on the North Campus.

Many students are unhappy with this decision and are trying to bring the route back. 

Members of UB's Inter Greek Council started a petition with over a thousand supporters to bring back the late night schedule. The petition can be accessed here: https://www.change.org/p/chris-austin-bring-back-the-stampede

Mike Brown, University Council Student Representative said in a statement to the university, "While there is no excuse for underage drinking, disruptive parties, or disrespectful conduct, cutting bus service will not put an end to house parties in University Heights. It will only take away an option for students to return home safely." 

News desk can be reached at news@ubspectrum.com