Dontay Caruthers, Nick Perkins pick up individual postseason MAC awards

Caruthers named defensive player of the year, Perkins named sixth man of the year

<p>Sophomore guard Dontay Caruthers dunks against Central Michigan. Caruthers was named the MAC Defensive Player of the Year.</p>

Sophomore guard Dontay Caruthers dunks against Central Michigan. Caruthers was named the MAC Defensive Player of the Year.

Two men’s basketball players picked up individual postseason awards in the Mid-American Conference.

Sophomore Dontay Caruthers was named the conference’s Defensive Player of the Year and sophomore forward Nick Perkins was named sixth man of the year.

Caruthers was routinely assigned to guarding the other team’s best offensive guard and still managed to lead the conference in steals per game during conference play. He is the first UB player to ever receive this award.

After beginning the season as a starter, Perkins transitioned seamlessly to the bench, coming off the pine for 14 of the Bulls last 15 games. He averaged 12.4 points and 6.8 rebounds per game.

The Bulls will take on Toledo in the quarterfinals of the MAC Tournament this Thursday at Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland, OH. Tipoff is scheduled for approximately 9 p.m.

Michael Akelson is the senior sports editor and can be reached at michael.akelson@ubspectrum.com