The Rundown: This week in UB Athletics

<p>The softball team won their first game of the season over the weekend. The Bulls are still trying to find themselves in the non-conference schedule.</p>

The softball team won their first game of the season over the weekend. The Bulls are still trying to find themselves in the non-conference schedule.

Men’s basketball (15-4, MAC 9-7)

The Men’s Basketball team lost the annual blackout game on Friday 89-83 to the Akron Zips (23-6, MAC 13-3). The game drew a large crowd because of the hype around the team and the free t-shirts. This makes back to back losses for the Bulls after winning seven straight.

Senior forward Blake Hamilton had another strong performance scoring a team high 23 points along with eight rebounds. Sophomore guard CJ Massinburg had 17 points and 10 rebounds – one of two Bulls to make more than four shots the whole game. The Bulls only shot 23 for 56 the whole game.

The next game is an away game against the Ohio Bobcats (18-9, MAC 10-6) on February 28.

Women’s basketball (19-8, MAC 9-7)

The Women’s Basketball team took on the Bowling Green Falcons (8-20, MAC 4-12) at home Saturday, losing 64-62.

The Bulls went into the fourth quarter with an eight-point lead, but the Bulls were outscored 19-9 in the quarter. The Bulls had a chance at the end of the game to tie, but were unable to make the basket. This loss snaps the Bulls three game winning streak.

The Bulls next game is against the Akron Zips (9-18, MAC 2-14), on March 1.

Men’s tennis (4-3, MAC 0-0)

The Men’s Tennis team had a dominating Saturday, thrashing the Cleveland State Vikings (4-6) 7-0 in matches. This marks the third straight team win for the Bulls.

Freshman Hao Sheng Koay had supurb showing and won two sets over Cleveland State Freshman Nico Mostardi 6-3, 6-3. This marks the second time this season the Bulls have beaten a team 7-0.

Their next game is on March 4 against the Bryant University Bulldogs (4-6).

Women’s tennis (4-2) 

The Women’s Tennis Team also had a dominating performance this weekend, beating the Binghamton Bearcats (2-7) 7-0 in matches.

Both junior Tanja Stojanovska and freshman Emel Abibula defeated their opponents without losing a single set, earning 6-0 shutouts.

The Bulls next meet is against the Duquesne Dukes (7-4) on March 3.

Women’s swimming and diving

This weekend the Women’s Swimming and Diving team competed in the MAC Championship in Miami, Ohio. Junior swimmer Megan Burns took home first in three different events, the most wins for any Bull. The Bulls ended up with third place in the team rankings, for a program high.

The team’s next event will be the NCAA tournament if any swimmers qualify.

Baseball (2-3) 

The Baseball team played a three game away series against the Murray State Racers (5-1) over the weekend. 

The Bulls won the first game on Friday 12-10 as junior infielder Ben Haefner went four for six at bat. On Saturday the Bulls lost 12-4. Sunday (playing now). 

The Bulls next series is against the James Madison Dukes (5-1) starting March 3.

Softball (1-7) 

The Bulls competed in the Norfolk State Tournament this weekend. After losing their first two games, the Bulls won their first game of the season on Saturday, beating the Hartford Hawks (1-3) 6-5. The Bulls continued their success on Sunday beating the Hawks again 7-0. Last game being played now. 

Sports desk can be reached at sports@ubspectrum.com