Former UB Bulls Licata, Kling and Weiser get shot at NFL

Licata gets tryout with Bills, Weiser and Kling sign as undrafted free agents

<p>Former Buffalo quarterback Joe Licata throws a pass during a victory over Duquesne at UB Stadium his junior season.&nbsp;Licata and two former teammates will get a chance to continue their football careers in the NFL.&nbsp;</p>

Former Buffalo quarterback Joe Licata throws a pass during a victory over Duquesne at UB Stadium his junior season. Licata and two former teammates will get a chance to continue their football careers in the NFL. 

Although no UB players heard their name called in the 2016 NFL Draft, at least three will get an opportunity to continue their football careers.

Former Buffalo offensive tackle John Kling and tight end Matt Weiser signed as undrafted free agents with the Chicago Bears and San Diego Chargers, respectively, while former quarterback and UB all-time leading passer Joe Licata will get a tryout with the hometown Buffalo Bills.

Licata, a Buffalo native, will attend the Bills’ rookie minicamp on a tryout basis. Licata is the program’s all-time leader in passing yards (9,485) and passing touchdowns (76) and led the Bulls to the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl Game in 2013. The Bills drafted former Ohio State quarterback Cardale Jones in the fourth round of the draft.

Kling played 12 games at left tackle for the Bulls last season, while Weiser experienced a breakout season for Buffalo with 63 catches for 625 yards, three touchdowns and an All-Mid-American Conference first-team selection. Weiser will be reunited with UB all-time leading rusher Branden Oliver in San Diego.

Michael Akelson is the assistant sports editor and can be reached at sports@ubspectrum.com.