Tuesday, March 19, 2024

UB Bulls to play Miami in NCAA Tournament round of 64

Bulls earn No. 14 seed, will play in Rhode Island

<p>Head coach Nate Oats disagrees with a call during the Bulls' 71-69 loss to Toledo at Alumni Arena on Feb. 9.&nbsp;</p>

Head coach Nate Oats disagrees with a call during the Bulls' 71-69 loss to Toledo at Alumni Arena on Feb. 9. 

The Buffalo men’s basketball team now knows its first opponent for its second-ever NCAA Tournament appearance.

The Bulls (20-14, 10-8 Mid-American Conference) earned a No. 14 seed in the South region and will play No. 3 seed Miami (25-7, 13-5 Atlantic Coast Conference) in the round of 64 of the NCAA Tournament on Thursday. The game will be played in Providence, Rhode Island.

Last season, the Bulls entered the national tournament as a No. 12 seed and lost in their first game against No. 5 seed West Virginia, 68-62, in Columbus, Ohio.

The Bulls received an automatic bid by claiming their second straight MAC Championship Saturday. Buffalo defeated MAC No. 1 seed Akron (26-8, 13-5) 64-61 off a last-second three from junior wing Blake Hamilton.

Miami enters the NCAA Tournament as the No. 11 ranked team in the country and a No. 3 seed in the South region. The Hurricanes received an at-large bid after losing to ACC No. 1 seed Virginia (26-7, 13-5 ACC), 73-68, in the ACC Tournament Semifinals.

Tipoff is set for Thursday at the Dunkin’ Donuts Center in Providence, Rhode Island. The time has yet to be announced.

Quentin Haynes is the co-senior sports editor and can be reached at quentin.haynes@ubspectrum.com. Follow him on Twitter at @HaynesTheWriter.