Quick hits: Your recap for the weekend in UB Athletics

<p>Junior forward Blake Hamilton looks to make a pass into the paint. Hamilton led the Bulls 17 points as the Bulls defeated Toledo 73-68, their second straight Mid-American Conference win.</p>

Junior forward Blake Hamilton looks to make a pass into the paint. Hamilton led the Bulls 17 points as the Bulls defeated Toledo 73-68, their second straight Mid-American Conference win.

Men’s basketball (12-9, 5-3 Mid-American Conference)

On Saturday, the Bulls defeated Toledo (12-9, 3-5 MAC) 73-68 in a tightly contested game on the road.

The Bulls are now winners of two straight games in conference play, and have held conference opponents to less than 70 points in four of their last five games, going 4-1 during that stretch. The Bulls held the Rockets to just 24 percent from three-point territory and star Toledo center Nathan Boothe to just 15 points on 5-of-13 shooting.

Junior forward Blake Hamilton scored 17 points and had seven rebounds, while freshman guard CJ Massinburg finished with 13 points, four rebounds, three assists and four steals off the bench.

The Bulls travel to DeKalb, Illinois to face Northern Illinois (16-5, 5-3 MAC) on Tuesday. Tipoff for that game is set for 9 p.m.

Women’s basketball (10-9, 2-6 MAC)

The nightmare continues for Buffalo.

The Bulls (10-9, 2-6 MAC) were thwarted by Northern Illinois’ Cassidy Glenn’s last-second, game-winning three-pointer. Glenn’s last-second shot gave the Huskies (9-11, 2-7 MAC) a 76-74 victory at the Convocation Center in DeKalb, Illinois and the Bulls their fifth straight loss.

Junior guard Joanna Smith had the game career, though, finishing with a career-high 31 points on 10-of-19 shooting, 14 rebounds, three assists and two steals. Junior center Cassie Oursler finished with 10 points and seven rebounds before fouling out in 27 minutes.

The Bulls will take on Ohio (17-3, 9-0 MAC) on Wednesday at Alumni Arena. Tipoff is set for 7 p.m.

Men’s tennis (5-2)

After a 2-2 start to the season, the Bulls had a 3-0 weekend.

On Saturday, the Bulls defeated Yale (0-2) 4-3 and Monmouth (1-1) 4-1 and on Sunday wrapped up the weekend with a victory over Boston College (0-1). All matches were played at Yale University.

Against Yale, seniors Pablo Alvarez and Amar Hromic won their doubles set 6-3 and each won their individual matches, leading the Bulls to the victory. The victory over Yale was the first time Buffalo defeated Yale in program history.

Against Monmouth, the Bulls dropped just one set on their way to victory. Against Boston College, Alvarez and Hromic won their doubles set and senior Sergio Arevalillo won his single set.

The Bulls travel to Newark, New Jersey to face NJIT on Saturday. The match is set for noon.

Women’s tennis (1-0)

Buffalo went to the University of Connecticut this weekend for the two-day UConn Invitational.

On Saturday, the Bulls defeated Quinnipiac (4-1) in a sweep. Junior Margarita Kotok and senior Dayana Agasieva won their doubles match, while the Bulls swept the Bobcats in singles play. The event occurred in the 4:1 format, consisting of four singles matches and one doubles match.

On Sunday, the Bulls continued their weekend with wins against Bryant and against host school UConn.

Buffalo hosts Duquesne (3-0) on Friday at 7 p.m.

Track and Field

The men and women had individual athletes compete in the Spire Midwest Invitational and the Penn State Invitational this weekend.

At Penn State, senior Brian Crimmins broke his own school record, recording a 4:07.74 in the mile run. Crimmins’ original record was 4:08.23 and he finished ninth in the event.

Former Bulls thrower the now volunteer assistant coach Jonathan Jones competed as an unattached athlete and finished first in the men’s shot put. Two Buffalo athletes – junior Ryan Cribbin and sophomore Devon Patterson – finished fourth and fifth in the event receptively.

At the Spire Midwest Invitational, senior Sabrina Bush finished first in the 60-meter hurdles with a time of 8.96. Teammate Nikari Carota finished third, as the sophomore finished with a time of 9.15.

Freshman Allison Mazur finished second in the 60-meter dash, recording a time of 7.78.

The Bulls will head to Akron, Ohio on Friday for the Akron Invite, a two-day weekend event.

The sports desk can be reached at sports@ubspectrum.com.