Around Town: Oktoberfest

Celebrate fall with these exciting events around Buffalo this month

It’s finally October – the month of changing leaves, pumpkin spice lattes and of course, Halloween.

Before you get too excited and wrap up your month with plans to be cozy inside, check out some of these fun events around town while the outdoors is still bearable.

Allentown Fall Festival

No admission ticket needed for food, drinks and more than forty vendors selling arts and crafts, clothing and trinkets downtown.

This upcoming Saturday is the Second Annual Allentown Fall Festival. The fair opens at 11 a.m. with a casual bicycle ride around the city for those interested. Others can listen to the sounds of local bands that will provide entertainment for the day. There will also be activities that bring you back to childhood, such as pumpkin painting and pony rides.

The festival is a perfect step into fall spirit, as it celebrates the crisp change in season with its atmosphere.

Josh Groban

Yes, you read that correctly – Josh Groban, super famous pop crooner from the early 2000’s will be at Shea’s Performing Arts Center in support of his upcoming album, Stages, on Wednesday, Oct. 7 at 7:30 p.m.

Even though the show is on a Wednesday, it’s hard to resist the idea of reminiscing to songs like “You Are Loved (Don’t Give Up)”, his cover of “You Raise Me Up” and “To Where You Are.” He’s been steadily producing music over the last few years and is ready to impress audiences all over again.

Finnfest 2015

In the mood for something exotic?

FinnFest 2015 is the festival that celebrates Finland’s culture, history and art. It will be open from Oct. 9 to Oct. 13. The Buffalo Philharmonic will be featured at the event, playing traditional Finnish symphonies. Finnish architects designed the location to make the venue look authentic and to immerse attendants into the culture.

Special events include exhibits of Finnish art at the Burchfield Penney Museum, a walking tour about Martin Wachadlo and Salolampi, a program in which participants can learn Finnish.

So if you’re looking to try something new and maybe a little less cliché-fall-festival, check out FinnFest.

Fall Season Erie County Guided Tour

To encourage members of the community to go outside, the Erie County Health Department and the Wellness Institute of Greater Buffalo teamed up to create this event.

The walk takes place every Saturday until Oct. 17, and starts at 9:30 a.m. The walks meet at a different location each week, so pick your favorite park and attend that one. The walks are guided tours, where participants will learn ways to get healthy and stay healthy.

The walks are only about half an hour or 45 minutes, so even though 9:30 a.m. can seem a little early, no fear – you’ll be back in bed by 11 a.m. at the latest.

Niagara Wine Trail, USA – Hallowine Murder Mystery

Enjoy the tastes of wine with a spooky twist.

The event takes place the weekend of Oct. 23-25 during the day. Tickets are $30 and participants can come in costume to collect clues and solve the mystery. Three different wines will be tasted at each winery visited and participants will submit their guess to who is the murderer at the final winery. Guests will attend 14 different wineries throughout the day.

The event is a fun, Halloween themed excuse to drink wine all day.

Tori Roseman is the senior features editor and can be reached at tori.roseman@ubspectrum.com.