Halloween mixology: fun and easy Halloween-themed cocktails

<p>Butterbeer is just one of the mixes you can make on Halloween to spice up your drinking options. </p>

Butterbeer is just one of the mixes you can make on Halloween to spice up your drinking options. 

Every holiday calls for specialized drinks – Halloween is no exception.

Now that we are in college, Halloween is associated with parties and alcohol, not candy. Spice up your Halloween with these four Halloween-themed cocktails to use during a Halloween party or an at-home celebration.

Apple pie shots

These shots are the easiest to make for a little Halloween fun because it involves minimal effort. All you need is cinnamon, any plain vodka of your choosing, apple juice and whipped cream.

Apple pie shots involve a routine – you have to lick your right hand and pour a little bit of cinnamon on it while also holding a shot of vodka in that hand. Your left hand holds the shot of apple juice and a friend holds the whipped cream.

Lick off the cinnamon, take the shot of vodka, chase it with the shot of apple juice and have your friend squirt the whipped cream in your mouth. This shot is promised to taste exactly like apple pie.

Demon juice

Add demons to your jungle juice this year – demon juice is the ideal Halloween style of jungle juice.

This cocktail is perfect if you’re hosting a Halloween party and don’t want to spend too much money.

Mix together one gallon of lemonade, one gallon of iced tea, five Arnold Palmer sugar packets and one bottle of Devils Spring Vodka and shake it up with ice. You can serve these in martini or cocktail glasses.

These ingredients – except the vodka – can all be easily found at your nearest supermarket or even 7/11 for any last minute party planning.

Pumpkin spice punch

Pumpkin spice is the famous fall drink that we all hate to love. Now, you can make this drink to pregame with before you go out to a party on Halloween.

This drink requires 1/4 cup of honey, 1/4 cup of brown sugar, 1/2 of tablespoon pumpkin spice, one cup of bourbon, two cups of apple cider and two bottles of Pinot Grigio.

Mix all the ingredients – minus the wine – together and place it in the refrigerator for two to four hours. After it’s chilled, top it with the Pinot Grigio and serve it in a white wine glass.

Despite the fact this drink requires a little more effort to make, it’s a new delicious form of pumpkin spice for us to fall in love with.

Butterbeer

What’s Halloween if it doesn’t involve Harry Potter? Any fan of Harry Potter knows that Butterbeer is the ultimate spooky drink.

To make this drink you need one cup of light or dark brown sugar, two tablespoons of water, six tablespoons of butter, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, 1/2 teaspoon of cider vinegar, 3/4 cup of heavy cream (divided), 1/2 teaspoon of rum extract and 4 12-ounce bottles of cream soda.

Combine the brown sugar and water into a small saucepan and heat it up on medium flame. Once the mixture starts to boil, let it cook and stir it often until the mixture reads 240 degrees on a candy thermometer.

Then add the butter, salt, vinegar and 1/4 cup of the heavy cream. Once that is all stirred in, let it cool to room temperature and stir in the rum extract.

In a medium bowl, combine two tablespoons of the brown sugar mixture with the leftover half cup of heavy cream. Use an electric mixer to mix this together until it becomes thick – it’ll take about two to three minutes.

Serve this drink in a mug by putting in the brown sugar mixture and 1/2 cup of cream soda and stir it together. Fill your mug to the top with extra cream soda and then add the whipped topping by using a spoon.

This may be the most difficult drink to make, but it’ll be sure to give you a glimpse of Hogwarts on Halloween.

Dani Guglielmo is the features editor and can be reached at dani.guglielmo@ubspectrum.com