Friday, July 26, 2024

So long, partners

Thank you for making my college experience special and memorable

If you told me three years ago that I would be an editor at The Spectrum, I would not have believed you.

Going into my sophomore year, I felt disoriented. I was beginning a new major and readjusting to life after the pandemic lockdown.

Starting over with a clean slate, I looked for ways to get involved in the campus community. I always had an interest in writing, but I didn’t know how to apply it outside of my academics — until I picked up a printed issue of The Spectrum

While reading the issue, I was fascinated by the idea of writing a story and having it be published for the public eye.

In the fall of 2022, I applied to join The Spectrum. A few weeks later, I met with Anthony DeCicco, the former editor-in-chief, where he encouraged me to register for ENG 394 for the spring semester.

But I didn’t listen to him. At the time, feelings of self-doubt crowded my mind. 

How can a shy and reserved person like me be a student journalist? What if I blank out during an interview? What if my writing is not good enough?

After two years of fighting these internal thoughts, I took a leap of faith and enrolled in the ENG 394 class. I realized that I needed to seize every opportunity that presented itself, even if that meant having to step out of my comfort zone.

Coming into The Spectrum as a staff writer on the features desk, I didn’t know where to begin. I had no clue what a “nut graph” was, where to find a story or how to conduct an interview. But with Matt Parrino’s mentorship, I became more knowledgeable about the fundamentals of journalism.

My proudest moment at The Spectrum was when my first story was published. When I saw my story on The Spectrum website, it felt like a full circle moment. I was no longer the person consuming journalism, but the person writing the story.

After writing for the publication for a few months, I was promoted to assistant features editor. 

Being on the features desk brought me closer to the UB community. Never did I imagine myself interviewing dozens of students and faculty who were willing to share their stories with me.

While looking back at my time at UB, my biggest regret is not joining The Spectrum earlier. Despite my short time at The Spectrum, I gained important skills and experiences that I will be taking with me into my professional career.

To Grant, Ryan and Moaz: Thank you for believing in me and supporting me this past year. You have enabled me to become more confident in my writing and photography. And thank you for all of the hard work you’ve put into making all of this possible. Your unwavering dedication to keeping the publication up and running is admirable and inspiring.

To Dominick: Thank you for being my rock since day one. You have shown me what it takes to be a features editor. I deeply appreciate the kindness and support you have shown me these past few months. You are an incredible writer and I am excited to see where you go next.

To all editors and staff who I did not mention: Thank you for making my senior year more brighter and memorable. It was a privilege to work with such a talented and hardworking team. I wish all of you continued success in your future endeavors.

Jason Tsoi was an assistant features editor and can be reached at jason.tsoi@ubspectrum.com

JASON TSOI
jason-tsoi.jpg

Jason Tsoi is an assistant features editor at The Spectrum. He is an English major with a certificate in journalism. During his free time, he can be found listening to music and watching films.