Spectrum recommends: How to have fall fun before the first snow

Autumn is the perfect chance to go on an adventure with friends or have fun indoors

Fall is finally setting on UB's campus. Students are getting ready for festive drinks, apple picking and the scariest part of the semester, midterms.

Bright orange leaves, flannel shirts, seasonal depression and pumpkin spice: everyone’s second favorite season is here, and there’s no shortage of ways to enjoy it in Western New York. 

The Spectrum staff has compiled a list of the things they’ll be doing before they get crushed by two feet of snow and 15 daily hours of darkness: 

Fall Picnic

Fall means cozy blankets, pies, and warm drinks. In Buffalo, it also means cold weather and staying inside. Take advantage of our now empty local parks and enjoy all that the season has to offer with a fall-themed picnic. Delaware Park offers a peaceful reprieve from a busy semester — just bring the blankets, cider, and snacks.

• Moaz Elazzazi

Make a fall-themed painting

During fall in Buffalo, it can get very cold and rainy, and it prompts staying indoors. So why not make the best of the season while staying cozy inside and put some paint on a canvas? Grab a friend or significant other and have a fall-themed art night (bonus points if you paint to some fall or Halloween music).

• Ricardo Castillo

Fall Foliage Hike

There’s a bunch of beautiful trails and parks in the Buffalo area, and of course, Niagara Falls is just a 20-minute drive from UB’s campus. Seeing the rich orange-colored leaves, the smell of the soil, and the sparkling rivers is something straight from a painting. Some of the most picturesque trails around here include the Ellicott Creek Trailway, the Tonawanda Riverwalk and Walton Woods. So put on your long johns and get outside!

• Rachel Galet

Attend a Rocky Horror Picture Show performance

Since 1976, the theatrical madness, elaborate costuming and enthusiastic numbers of the Rocky Horror Picture Show has become an immersive experience in theaters. The screening is complemented by a floor-show with actors in character, lip-syncing to the records, to bring the film’s otherworldliness to audiences. If you want to experience the film’s beloved traditions, the Riviera Theatre, Kavinoky Theatre and the Lavender Room are hosting shows.

• Tenzin Wodhean

Pumpkin carving 

Sure, you might not have made a jack-o’-lantern since fifth grade, but believe me when I say it’s even more fun with fine motor skills. With a well-sharpened knife, a stencil and a Sharpie, you can make some Instagram-worthy designs. Just make sure you have fun baking the pumpkin seeds and smashing your creation with a baseball bat on Nov. 1. 

• Grant Ashley

Drink Tim Hortons coffee, listen to jazz and read a book, pausing to stare longingly through a rainy window

There’s no better way to warm your chilled soul than drinking Tim Hortons coffee, and Buffalo’s wonderful fall weather adds the perfect ambience to your lonely search for meaning!

• Ryan Tantalo

Get Fresh Apples

When autumn leaves begin to fall, it is a perfect sign that apple picking season has begun. Visit local markets or pick your own at a farm. Take in the vibrant arrangements of ruby red and crisp yellow as you appreciate the fall weather. When you get home, you can experiment in the kitchen and create your own apple recipes that your friends and family will love. 

• Emma Mendola

Buy Apple Cider

If you want to get the beloved fall beverage, look no further than your nearest Wegmans. To dial up the fall vibes, try visiting one of many farms in the South Towns or neighboring Niagara County. There is no better way to get apple cider than driving through idyllic autumn foliage. Some farms even have apple cider donuts and other treats.

• Quinn Kennedy

Corn maze and cozy things

On a chilly autumn evening, bundle up in a wool sweater and boots, gather your friends or family and get lost in a corn maze! Let the cold seep through your fingers and feel the crunch of dried corn stalks under your feet. Then, when you make it out (or accidentally refind the entrance six times and give up), get a hot drink, some blankets and freshly-baked pumpkin chocolate chip bread, and watch fall movies together until you fall asleep.

• Xiola Bagwell

The features desk can be reached at features@ubspectrum.com