Women’s basketball hires James Ewing as an assistant coach

James Ewing joins the coaching staff following Erin Sinnott’s promotion

<p>Before coming to UB, Ewing was an assistant coach for the St. Bonaventure women’s basketball team during the 2022-23 season.</p>

Before coming to UB, Ewing was an assistant coach for the St. Bonaventure women’s basketball team during the 2022-23 season.

Women’s basketball hired James Ewing as their newest assistant coach, head coach Becky Burke in a press release Thursday. 

The hiring comes one day after the announcement of Erin Sinnott’s promotion to assistant coach. “We are extremely fortunate to have James join our coaching staff,” Burke said in the statement. “His high energy, positive and uplifting personality rubs off on everyone with whom he comes in contact. He is very well connected here in Buffalo and has an unbelievable ability to identify talent and relate to players. I’m very much looking forward to working with him.”

Ewing, a Buffalo native, attended Cardinal O’Hara High School. Most recently, he was an assistant coach for the St. Bonaventure women’s basketball team during the 2022-23 season.

Ewing was also an assistant coach for Daemen University during the 2021-22 season, when Daemen finished the year with a record of 20-9 (16-2 East Coast Conference).

Ewing also helped lead Bryant & Stratton College to a USCAA championship appearance as an assistant coach under Brittnee Perry as assistant coach. 

Ewing  played at the University of Toledo, finishing with six points over two years (2011-2013). Ewing then played at Mercyhurst University from 2013-15, accumulating 318 points. 

Ewing played professionally for the Premier Basketball League’s (PBL) Buffalo 716ers, as well as the Dangriga Warriors and Orange Walk Running Rebels in the National Elite Basketball league (NEBL)..

The sports desk can be reached at sports@ubspectrum.com