Stoners can be productive too

Weed won’t get in the way of productivity if you check your smoking habits

Some semesters, I limited my smoking to the weekends or social outings. Other semesters, I used to rip the bong almost every single day. 

And yet, for every single one of my eight semesters at UB, I’ve still received straight A’s and managed all of my responsibilities. 

Although weed has been legalized for recreational use in 21 states, anti-marijuana stigma is still prevalent.

For decades, overly strict penal codes and negative media portrayals of marijuana users have created a stigma so toxic that many users mask their usage to avoid being shunned by their peers — which makes anti-marijuana stigma even worse. Even those who use marijuana for medical purposes still face stigma.   

The historical depiction of cannabis users as “lazy” and “unmotivated” bums is simply wrong.

The physiological, psychological and behavioral effects of weed impact everyone differently. Still, if you keep your usage in check, I believe you can function just as well as a non-user.

I typically don’t smoke unless I complete a majority of my responsibilities 

Just like how many people crack open a cold beer after work, I sometimes use smoking as a reward for getting through a long day. 

But whether I smoke before or after a task, the task always gets done because I know how weed affects me, and I care more about my responsibilities than I do about smoking.

I know plenty of people who smoke and still manage to get things done.

It’s totally doable.

If you’re not already maintaining good habits, such as setting goals and planning on how to tackle them efficiently, then smoking weed isn’t the issue — your mindset is. You simply have to have that balance.

Research on frequent cannabis users and motivation produces mixed results.

One study from 2019 found only a weak link between frequent cannabis usage and lower motivation. 

A 2016 study showed that cannabis can induce a “transient amotivational state” (or temporary laziness for normal people), but does not support the “chronic amotivational syndrome” (“chronic laziness”) typically associated with frequent cannabis use.

With more research, I hope we will come to understand that “the devil’s lettuce” is a misnomer. 

There are many positive benefits to smoking. I just wish we’d stop generalizing marijuana users as a group and focus on individuals and their habits instead. 

Kiana Hodge is a news editor and can be reached at kiana.hodge@ubspectrum.com