Safe sex resources offered to UB students through Student Health Services

Student Health Services provides STI tests, pregnancy tests, condoms and more

Students who live on-campus can request free safe sex supplies.

UB offers a variety of safe sex resources for students engaging in sexual intercourse. 

Students who live on-campus can request free safe sex supplies — including internal and external condoms, dental dams and personal lubricant — from UBCovered. Each product is sent in sets of five. Students who live on campus can have these supplies delivered to their mailboxes, and students who live off campus will have pickup instructions sent to their UB email address. 

Student Health Services provides support to students who are in need of guidance and want to practice safe sex. Students can receive birth control, pregnancy tests, emergency contraceptive (morning-after pill) and STI testing at the Student Health Services, which is located on Maple Road.

If you are sexually active, getting tested for STIs is one of the most important things you can do to protect you and your partner’s health. 

“STI testing has been (and remains) in the top five appointment reasons for at least the last 10 years,” Susan Snyder, Director of Health Services, said in an email to The Spectrum.

The Student Health Services offers testing and treatment for a variety of STIs, including   Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, Hepatitis, Herpes, HIV and Syphilis.

Appointments with Student Health Services health care providers are free, regardless of a student’s health insurance coverage. However, students may be responsible for any co-pays, coinsurance or deductible amounts associated with lab work, depending on their health insurance coverage, according to the UB Student Life website.

The center doesn’t take walk-ins; appointments need to be made in advance online. Patients are also limited to one appointment per day and need to bring their UB ID and health insurance card to be seen.

Victoria Hill is the senior news editor and can be reached at victoria.hill@ubspectrum.com