Police have no suspects in custody in connection with Oct. 14 Ellicott stabbing

Investigators ‘are making real progress,’ UB spokesperson says

<p>The victim, Tyler Lewis, was <a href="https://www.ubspectrum.com/article/2022/10/stabbing-victim-identified-as-19-year-old-buffalo-state-student"><u>pronounced dead</u></a> at Erie County Medical Center hours after the Oct. 14 stabbing at Moody Terrace.&nbsp;</p>

The victim, Tyler Lewis, was pronounced dead at Erie County Medical Center hours after the Oct. 14 stabbing at Moody Terrace. 

University Police have not taken any suspects into custody in connection with a stabbing that took the life of a Buffalo State College sophomore outside of the Ellicott Complex, UB spokesperson John DellaContrada told The Spectrum Wednesday. UPD’s investigation will enter its third week Friday. 

“The community should be assured that University at Buffalo Police are working diligently on this investigation around the clock, seven days a week in close collaboration with the Erie County District Attorney’s Office,” DellaContrada said in a statement. “Together, UB Police, the DA and local law enforcement partners are making real progress. The university is eager to solve the case.”

Police had previously identified a “person of interest” in the case, who they say fled the scene of the stabbing in a black four-door sedan. The individual was described as a college-aged white male between 5’5 and 5’9 who was wearing a blood-stained “mustard-colored shirt” and had multiple facial cuts, including a “large diagonal laceration” on his forehead. Police had also announced at the time of the stabbing that they were searching for “at least four individuals who may have been involved.” 

DellaContrada did not say whether or not police had identified a suspect by name but added that “investigators have made good progress” and had no new information to share. 

The victim, Tyler Lewis, was pronounced dead at Erie County Medical Center hours after the stabbing. The 19-year-old from Baldwin, New York was studying pre-business administration at Buffalo State College and was remembered by family members for playing baseball and attending NASA space camp as a child. 

Lewis’ funeral is set to take place Saturday at Hempstead, New York’s Union Baptist Church, according to The Buffalo News

UPD is in “daily contact” with Lewis’ “immediate family,” who have “been very helpful with the investigation,” DellaContrada said. 

Police are urging anyone with information about the stabbing or the person of interest to call University Police “immediately” at 716-645-2222.

Grant Ashley is the managing editor and can be reached at grant.ashley@ubspectrum.com

GRANT ASHLEY
4D1A3172.jpg

Grant Ashley is the editor in chief of The Spectrum. He's also reported for NPR, WBFO, WIVB and The Buffalo News. He enjoys taking long bike rides, baking with his parents’ ingredients and recreating Bob Ross paintings in crayon. He can be found on the platform formerly known as Twitter at @Grantrashley.