Fatal stabbing occurs outside of Ellicott Complex; suspects flee the area

UPD “actively investigating,” searching for black sedan, at least four individuals

<p>UPD taped off much of Moody Terrace and placed evidence markers at the scene.&nbsp;</p>

UPD taped off much of Moody Terrace and placed evidence markers at the scene. 

A male victim was fatally stabbed in the chest at Moody Terrace outside of Richmond Quad at around 7:30 p.m. Friday night, the university announced in an email alert. University Police are “actively investigating.” 

The victim, who is “not a member of the UB community,” was taken by ambulance to Erie County Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead. 

UPD is searching for a black sedan that they say fled the area and “at least four individuals who may have been involved.” 

Police say the incident does not pose any “danger to the university community at this time,” but have increased patrols around the Ellicott Complex “for the safety of the campus community.” 

UPD Chief Deputy Josh Sticht told The Spectrum in an email earlier in the evening that it was “way too early” for police “to provide any details yet.” 

One student told The Spectrum that he saw first responders treating the unconscious victim on the ground after the stabbing. 

Police are encouraging those with any information to call UPD at 716-645-2222. 

Victoria Hill and Kyle Nguyen contributed reporting to this story.

This is a developing story. Check back for further updates. 

Grant Ashley is the managing editor and can be reached at grant.ashley@ubspectrum.com

GRANT ASHLEY
4D1A3172.jpg

Grant Ashley is the editor in chief of The Spectrum. He's also reported for NPR, WBFO, WIVB and The Buffalo News. He enjoys taking long bike rides, baking with his parents’ ingredients and recreating Bob Ross paintings in crayon. He can be found on the platform formerly known as Twitter at @Grantrashley.