Becky Burke lands first three recruits

Women’s basketball secures solid guards under Becky Burke

Former MAC Freshman of the Year Cheyenne McEvans has transferred to Syracuse University.

Despite winning the Mid-American Conference Tournament and making it to the Big Dance in 2022, women’s basketball will need to regroup and recruit.

Former head coach Feslisha Legette-Jack left Buffalo for Syracuse in late March, and took MAC Freshman of the Year Georgia Woolley, freshman guard Saniia Wilson and former MAC Freshman of the Year Cheyenne McEvans with her. 

Junior guard Dyaisha Fair (uncommitted) — the nation’s fourth-leading scorer — senior forward Adebola Adeyeye (Kentucky) and junior forward Loren Christie (uncommitted) have also entered the transfer portal in recent weeks.

But new head coach Becky Burke has been busy working the lines, and has already secured two new recruits for the 2022-23 season. Here’s a look at the newest members of the women’s basketball team:

Chellia Watson

Former USC Upstate guard Chellia Watson will rejoin Burke in Buffalo next fall. Watson started all 30 games during the 2021-22 season for the Spartans and earned All-Big South First Team honors. The Winder, GA native averaged 15.6 points, 3.9 rebounds and 2.3 assists per game during her sophomore season. 

Watson finished 20 games in double figures — 10 of which she netted at least 20 points — and was sixth in the Big South in scoring. 

“Chellia is one of the most dynamic scorers that I have seen at any level,” Burke said. “Her ability to score at all three levels is rare and something that will make her an immediate impact player here at UB and in the MAC. I am extremely thankful that Chellia has decided to stay with me and come to Buffalo. UB fans are in for a treat with this one!"

Latrice Perkins 

Perkins signed with the Bulls after spending four years at the College of Charleston. The 5-foot-11 guard averaged 11.9 points, 4.4 boards, 1.8 assists and 1.7 steals per game in 31 contests during the 2021-22 season. Perkins has the potential to be a leader on offense; she netted 20-plus points in five games and scored in double figures in 19 of 31 games last season.

As a sophomore, Perkins earned All-Colonial Athletic Association third team honors and ranked fifth in the CAA for steals (53) and third in scoring (13.5 points per game). She only played three games her junior year, due to injury. 

The Winder, GA native was the first athlete to commit to UB under Burke.

“Trice is a long, athletic, extremely versatile player on both ends of the floor,” Burke said. “She takes pride in sitting down and guarding the opponent’s best player and rebounds both offensively and defensively at a very high level. I am thrilled that Trice has decided to join us at Buffalo, and I know she will make our team better both on and off the floor.”

Re’Shawna Stone

Stone, the 2022 Mountain East Conference Player of the Year, committed to UB Tuesday after spending her undergraduate years at Glenville State. The Waynesville, MO native earned All-MEC first team in 2021 and 2022.

As a senior, the 5-6 guard averaged 17 points and scored in double figures in all but five matches, despite never playing more than 30 minutes. Stone led the league with 62 steals and was fifth in the league in scoring and field goal percentage (52.0). 

Kayla Sterner is an assistant sports editor and can be reached at kayla.sterner@ubspectrum.com

KAYLA STERNER
IMG_7640.jpg

Kayla Sterner is an assistant sports editor at The Spectrum. She is studying communications with the hopes of being a sideline reporter. In her spare time, she can be found in the gym, watching football or vibing to Mac Miller. Kayla is on Twitter @kaylasterner.