UB to nix mask requirements on campus starting March 5

UB joins six other Buffalo-area colleges in dropping mask mandates

UB will not require masks to be worn on campus beginning March 5.

UB will not require students, faculty, staff or visitors to wear masks “in most settings” on campus “regardless of vaccination status” beginning March 5, Vice President for Student Life Brian Hamluk announced in a school-wide email Wednesday.

“With rapidly declining case numbers in Erie County and a strong vaccination rate at UB, we welcome this emerging return to normal,” Hamluk said. “As the university continues to monitor conditions in consultation with local health officials, we’ll be sure to keep you updated of any further changes to UB’s health and safety guidelines.”

The decision comes after Gov. Kathy Hochul announced in a press conference Sunday that the state-wide mask mandate in K-12 schools would end Wednesday, and revisions to SUNY COVID-19 guidelines would allow universities to consult their county health departments to individually decide when to end their mask requirements. 

Following Hochul’s announcement, six Buffalo-area colleges and universities lifted their mask mandates entirely, including Buffalo State, Niagara County Community College, Hilbert College, Houghton College, Daemen and Canisius. 

Reilly Mullen is the editor in chief and can be reached at reilly.mullen@ubspectrum.com 

REILLY MULLEN
Image from iOS.jpg

Reilly Mullen is the editor-in-chief at The Spectrum. She is a senior majoring in political science with a journalism certificate. She enjoys Dunkin’ iced lattes and Scrabble. A former web, features, news and managing editor, she is a columnist at heart but has covered everything from UB Football to breaking news.